Metro Detroit Meet 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Pushing it all the way out there. Works for us I guess. Isn't that Dreamcruise weekend?
    Ugh. Yeah, looks like it is.

Maybe not an issue if we do Belle Isle and then go for food somewhere in SW Detroit. Anywhere in the vicinity of Woodward North of 8 Mile is a super bad idea during that mess.

I have no intent of participating in or otherwise attending the Dream Cruise. It's more of a Nightmare Trafficjam than anything else.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
      Yeah, sorry for my lack of action here, I think we need to push later. This weekend is busy for me, maybe works maybe doesn't, so later in August is safer.

I'll stare at my calendar for a while and see what I can sort out. Maybe we just call it August 20 and run with that.
      20th works for me.

No need to apologize, this thread sums up how 2022 has been for me so far. I haven't done much of anything that I've wanted to this year. Also this is kind of how our planning has always gone in the past, so nothing new for the regulars.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah, the Dream Cruise in not in the cards for me as well. I just picked a Daye that's 3 weeks away....we all have schedules, but we should nail down this date or the next thereafter so we can plan. It would be really cool linking up. Trying to get my 79 ready for it.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Yeah, the Dream Cruise in not in the cards for me as well. I just picked a Date that's 3 weeks away....we all have schedules, but we should nail down this date or the next thereafter so we can plan. It would be really cool linking up. Trying to get my 79 there

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Hi folks, sorry again for the lack of direction here.

Are we feeling OK about next Saturday, August 20, the day of the official Woodward Dream Cruise but not incorporating the Dream Cruise into the meet, as discussed above?

I am calling the meet location to be Belle Isle, and will be doing some "reconnaissance" this weekend to scout out some specifics, e.g. establish on a map exactly where we should try to collect ourselves.

The fallback location if I find unresolvable issues with Belle Isle will be Halmich Park in Warren.

Car photo ops (reminder, I am not a photographer but sometimes get a decent result on my decent phone with decent camera) within reasonably short driving distance include the Packard Plant and Fisher Body Plant 21, in addition to along the water and in tree-covered areas on Belle Isle itself.

Food: suggesting any of:
            -My top suggestion, mainly out of selfish want to go back there, is Detroit Shipping Co. in midtown. This is a "beer garden" type of venue with several food vendors and a communal eating space, kind of like a mall food court without the mall. Motorburger, a Windsor burger joint that hopped the border a few years ago, is located there.

Other possibilities:
            -Something Mexican in SW Detroit, maybe Dix/Vernor area (places I've been to and can vouch for are near here)
            -Something like a sandwich bar/deli
            -Any number of Coney Island type places sprinkled all over the region
            -Past suggestions of Derek's, Slow's or Mercury Burger Bar across from each other on Michigan Ave

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

August 20 works for me. Never been to Bell Isle, as has been established in the past, I don't get out much.

I like your idea on food. Sounds like a spot that might have options suitable for indecisive people.

I'll bring what's left of the '98. The Scab needs too much work that will not be getting done until next year. Mainly tires and a re-visit of lower ball joints that I replaced a few years ago, and then an alignment.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Seems I've jinxed Belle Isle; went there today and for the first time that I've seen or others I've asked, there was a lady there from MDNR checking for the Recreation Pass and selling it to those who want it. I turned around without purchasing it. It did look like the other entry road (it forks into two) was unmanned, however.

I figure if they're doing that on a Sunday, they'll definitely do it on a Saturday.
                Since the meet location is not really forming any sort of "home base" for a long event, just a couple hours tops of casual meet-up, I don't see the value of buying the pass if it's basically just a rally point.

Given the food suggestion in Midtown: how about we try for the free public parking (and if appropriate or required, the adjacent free street parking) for the Detroit Riverwalk? Atwater St and Rivard St. Near enough to the water to hopefully catch a breeze, and there is a cafe on the property with a bathroom facility.

Next waterfront suggestion is Gabriel Richard park, Jefferson at E Grand Blvd, which may offer better shade cover but may be busier.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Detroit Shipping Co. sounds interesting. No food suggestions from me on that side of town. Although there was a Mexican joint in Mexican town which was pretty good. Been several years since I've eaten there though, so I've forgotten the name. Real helpful, right?

Anyway, the 20th won't work for me as we intend to do the cream-cruise. Probably not so much cruise but peruse and spectate. Depending on the time and if everyone on my side can be ready on time, we could swing by for a little while though.

I seem to recall that about Belle Isle. I forget which direction of that fork is unmanned, but that's where I go to avoid fees. Was good the past two times I did that, but the last time I went was about a year ago.
                  Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 08-15-2022, 06:27 AM. Reason: Oh, Belle Isle.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ha, I can't even spell Belle Isle.

I'm open to whatever has free open parking that we can squat in for a few hours.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

OK, so let's call off the 20th re: Derek and his participation in the World's Largest Parking Lot

At the moment I don't know what my availability is like for anything else so I'll follow up here in a couple days.

Sept 17 is definitely out because RADwood/Concours d'Lemons.

Feel free to throw out ideas if you want.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Whew, I was going to try and juggle both events by showing up Saturday morning and into the afternoon, hitting the Dream Parking Lot after. Was going to wash and wax the Town Car on Friday, but now I don't have to do that. Or maybe I will anyway? NFC.. It needs love though. Promise to hit whatever new day is suggested.

Comment

That's fine, I still need a hood. Who's up for some JY scavenging Saturday, 20th August? Not sure if there are any suitable donors in the yards at the moment, but might as well look.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Guessing this isn't happening this year? Gettin' colder.. Although my Townie is waxed and ready.

Comment

Working...
                            X