Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metro Detroit Meet 2022

Hello friends,

It is a new year, and through various efforts and forces COVID-19 is now of less concern to most demographics and I feel confident that we can now plan a meet of similar scale and type as our past Metro Detroit meets.

For some history, in the time that I've been active in the community, several of the locals (including a couple from substantially further) have gotten together...
    • 2017-08-26: Thread Link: Halmich Park in Warren for car show-n-tell/meet-n-greet, followed by a meal at Vinsetta Garage on Woodward with impromptu Town Car drag race on the way (I won)
    • 2018-08-25: Thread Link: Halmich Park, and I don't remember nor can I find a reference to what we ended up doing for food but I'm sure we did something.
    • 2019-10-19: Thread Link: Halmich Park, followed by a meal at Parrot Cove, a kind of cheesily-themed place just around the corner in Troy that turned out to have decent food.

All past attendees are welcome to appear again, and any new faces are welcome as well. We're a reasonably low-key bunch and don't want to make a gigantic event, but I won't put a size cap on it either.

We can follow the same type of format: meet-n-greet with optional swap meet, car photo time, meal time. We could do a mid-late morning meet with late lunch to follow, or more of a noon-afternoon meet with dinner to follow, and we'll be looking at a Saturday or Sunday. In an ideal circumstance, vehicles in attendance are Panthers but that isn't a strict requirement as long as you're a community member. Once details get firmed up, it will go out as a Facebook event on the GMN page as well.

So, with that being said, we have some items to work out.
    • Meet location: Halmich Park has proven popular because it's easy to find, has adequate space, and in a decent area. I have no oppositions to using it again but I am equally in favour of trying another similar option.
    • Car photos: can happen at the meet location, as well as other locations which Detroit has plenty of. I do possess a DJI Mavic Mini "flycam" (aka drone); however my understanding is there might be some red tape before I can legally use it in the US. Rolling out for photoshoots might influence the meet location; I feel like there might be some value in exploring options closer to Midtown or Southwest Detroit. There's good food as well as photo ops in those directions.
    • Food: as above, I feel like if we shift a bit further south, we open up some opportunities. I will toss out some suggestions of Ford's Garage in Dearborn, Mi Pueblo or El Nacimiento in SW Detroit, Mercury Burger Bar by Michigan Central Station (admittedly not well suited to a group), and Detroit Shipping Co in Midtown...gotta see it to really understand it, it's hard to put that one into words, but it's a decent venue.
    • Food alternative: it might make sense to bring whatever is appropriate (e.g. tabletop bbq) and just do supermarket burgers and deli salads at the meet location. I'm equally in favour of this, and it makes cost be dramatically less. If this appeals to folks, we would work out an assignment list of who brings what.
    • Auxiliary activities: junkyarding as a social activity is a possibility. I'm indifferent about its inclusion, but would be interested if other participants were as well. There does still tend to be a solid supply of Panthers of all ages in the yards I like to frequent.

I figure I'm probably a little early to the table with this, but if we start a discussion we can put together something nice to make up for the last few years of inactivity. Please feel free to reply with potential interest, any blackout (totally unavailable) dates, and any desired/wish list dates. I think it's pretty fair to say that if out-of-state attendees are wanting in, us locals can try to accommodate the dates that work better for the ones with the longer drives.

Obviously, there are some considerations that haven't applied in the past which do now on account of COVID, those being:
    • Vaccination: this is a requirement, by both the governments of USA and Canada, for any party crossing the US-Canada border in either direction. This is relevant because Canadians may wish to attend.
    • COVID-19 testing: this previously in-force requirement for parties entering Canada has been removed. This is relevant because Canadians who may attend will need to return home, and the testing requirement being removed makes this easier. Other "return to Canada" requirements which are new since COVID do exist which I am familiar with and can assist with; please PM me with related questions.
    • Mask wearing: the State of Michigan does not mandate the wearing of masks but does encourage it, and some private establishments may have a strong preference for masks. The type of venues we would likely consider for a car meet are unlikely to be among those. The meet itself will neither mandate nor ban masks, and you are free to make the decision you feel is best for yourself.
    • Actually having COVID and risk of transmission: if you attend a social function with a group of people, you must understand that you are assuming the risk of potentially contracting any communicable illness that one of the other attendees has, and that is your sole risk to analyze in your decision to attend, for which you bear all associated responsibility.
    • COVID discussion in general: as with sports and politics, this is a polarizing topic and it's best if further chatter about it be avoided. I only mentioned what I did here because it's necessary to enable informed decisions and facilitate some people to attend.
    Last edited by kishy; 04-04-2022, 09:42 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Added July 18: If you are interested in attending, please complete the survey on Google Forms to help us plan this event.

https://forms.gle/K9iDVzPfvfxGLPst6
    Last edited by kishy; 07-18-2022, 10:17 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Looking forward to this.
      Maybe this will give me motivation to make my remaining 2 gauges in the '98 actually read pressure and temperature of what they are supposed to be monitoring (oil and trans). I doubt it, but we'll see.

There was also a meet in 2015 that many of the current locals (including Kyle) attended, as well as lithdoc who last I heard from him he was in Texas and his '89 MGM, pictured next to The Ice Car, went to his brother in Lithuania. Actually at that time, I'm not sure if The Ice Car had been named yet.

There was also at least one meet prior to 2015, but that was before my time on this forum and most of the members involved in pre-2015 meets disappeared before the 2015 meet.

2018: we did end up going somewhere (http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post819486). Did we do Parrot Cove twice in '18 and '19?

I'm not opposed to location change. The open-to-anyone Halmich park has been a great upgrade from the little restaurant parking lot in 2015.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Count me in.
        Like Vic said, some motivation to get shit done. I also vote for a junkyard run or a separate meetup date for that.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

I'm in. If we do a junkyard run, the Party Barge stays in the garage. Can't risk getting it's skirt greasy.

Can confirm that Mercury bar does have good food. So does Slow's. There's also a good bar near Wayne State University, The Bronx Bar. One of my all time favorite places to get some ground round. The best burgers I've ever had in short of a place in Arizona. That was two years ago though. However, as stated that Halmich park place was very accomodating. As we get near Detroit, I've got no idea where we could park our stuffs and get together. Parrot Cove was pretty decent too. I believe we did go two years in a row. The one restaurant we went to in 2015 changed hands, it now sucks.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Speaking of Slow's, good place, I've been there a few times always while on a work outing to a Tigers game. This reminds me that checking our desired meetup day for sportsball events is always a good idea if we plan to be downtown.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The summer is upon us gentleman.....still a go?
              July 23?

Comment

That works for us.

Comment

I have a camping trip coming up with a date to be determined on fairly short notice; currently the poll in the group chat for that shows that particular weekend (July 23) is the most likely choice we're going to pick. The following week (July 30) would be my vote for the car meet.

I'd like to stir the coals a bit again about two topics:

1. Venue
                  Are we settling on Halmich Park or do we want to consider alternatives? I accidentally stumbled upon Bell Creek Park in Redford recently, and it seems well-equipped to also meet our needs, although it is some distance away (not sure if far enough to bother anyone though). There is a public washroom facility, the parking area is very large, and there are picnic tables and some tree cover for shade. This leads into...

2. Food
                  There are many good restaurant choices, so there is no questioning that we will find something good. The alternative of a DIY BBQ is maybe appealing though from a couple perspectives:
                  a) travel distance to restaurant (fuel cost),
                  b) depending on the size of our party it might be difficult to be seated quickly or all together,
                  c) food cost (per person DIY is way more economical)
                  d) maybe a more laid-back, less structured day e.g. someone arriving late can be assured we'll still be at the meet location because it's staying in one place
                  Thoughts of the group please?

As an aside, I don't know if anyone knows Nathan in Romulus (I feel like he's on here but just quiet), but he has a box that he's trying to get on the road and is interested depending on availability.

I'll try to slap together a Google Form to collect some input, but it sounds like we may be a small group this year.
                  Last edited by kishy; 06-29-2022, 11:10 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

The more time to prep the better for me. I really need to do a thorough wash.

The park in Redford is fine with me. That is slightly closer to Grand1 as well.

The BBQ idea sounds good to me.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Alternatives sound pretty cool, as does the Redford joint. Although Redford was kind of a depressed area back when I had a job there some 17 years ago, can only imagine what it's like now.

I'm not made of money, but F cost. We don't get together much as a group and so team building is worth it. We have the damn things, so lets drive the damn things. Cruising to dinner would be kind of cool too, all single file like they do when people die and are sent to be buried or whatever. Cause well, the platform may be dead, but the cars aren't.

I've recently gotten semi back into the nitro R/C car thing. I may bring one or two for entertainment purposes. Hopefully the weather is good. I haven't washed or waxed my Lincoln in quite a while.

Comment

Up for anything.
                        I think 2 to 3 weeks notice helps people juggle schedules. I hear Derek, and I am pretty close to a hermit so cost is not really a thing for me either as I rarely do shit. Maybe even finding a yard that actually has a box....repairathon...anything

Comment

Still a go? Early August?

Comment

I'm good for this weekend or next. Although the rain index is higher than I'd like for Friday and Saturday of this week. I'd like to use Friday to shine up on the Lincoln.

Comment

At the rate I've been getting anything done this year... we'll see if I get around to that washing that I've been meaning to do.

This weekend or next (weekend of 23rd, 30th) I can make work. The following 2 weekends (6th, 13th) are booked.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                              X