PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metro Detroit Meet 2022

LoL yes, I made a promise to my Lincoln that it wouldn't ever intentionally see a dirt road.

Vic, are you talkin' about that one 14 bolt you found or a different one? That one you sent me won't work as it's for a 2WD- the axles are narrower on those. Hoping to find a G80 GT4 coded axle, but I'd settle for a GT4 from a 4WD truck. I mean, it's only been three years since I've been trying to find one that wasn't already grenaded.. Think I've popped at least three diff covers off of the elusive GT4/G80 combo and found only disappointment.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Oh, the search continues then, LOL.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Yep. Something tells me that when the rear end in my truck lets go, I'll be stuffing another 10 bolt in it's place.

all the CFI are belong to me

I can help with junkyard pulling of stuff on a weekend after the 31st, availability TBD.
    I've been wanting to get down to Cherry Picked in Toledo, but time keeps getting away from me.

Location proposal: Belle Isle.

Pros:
    -The roads are paved.
    -Parking is free and plentiful (angled spots along the river on the south side)
    -Proximity to water and shade from trees; probably a pretty comfortable place to be even if it's a ludicrously hot day.
    -Nice scenery, if not where we park, nearby on inner roads, for car photos.
    -Quickish access to food options in the general area of downtown and west of there, without requiring freeways to get there, with possible bonus availability of food trucks on the island.

Cons:
    -Officially, on the books, in order to drive to Belle Isle you require a Michigan recreation passport. It is unclear if it is possible to purchase this at the entry booth. In practice, it seems there is never anyone at the booth to actually verify you have the pass or to sell you one and anyone can just drive right over. It is unclear to me if this is enforced in any way.
    -Also officially on the books, any type of "gathering" needs to be scheduled with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It is unclear to me if this is enforced in any way, and if it is, what that enforcement consists of.

The pass thing is only irritating because it's hard to put a firm number on what it costs. As a non-resident, it looks like I can pay $10 for access for the day, and for our meet purposes I'm actually OK with that. However, if you are a state resident and don't have the pass, it looks like they force you to get the year for $17. And as above, it's unclear if you can even pay this at the booth at all.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

I've been to Belle Isle several times. Didn't pay a dime, no one was manning the booth. I just drove right through. However, for me it seemed like it's pretty easy to get confused where to go. Probably just me. I drive, not navigate.

So when is this happening? Interested if there is going to be junkyarding.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Right??

Pick a day fellas, I'll be there.

August 20 works for me.

Yeah, sorry for my lack of action here, I think we need to push later. This weekend is busy for me, maybe works maybe doesn't, so later in August is safer.

I'll stare at my calendar for a while and see what I can sort out. Maybe we just call it August 20 and run with that.

Pushing it all the way out there. Works for us I guess. Isn't that Dreamcruise weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Pushing it all the way out there. Works for us I guess. Isn't that Dreamcruise weekend?
    Ugh. Yeah, looks like it is.

Maybe not an issue if we do Belle Isle and then go for food somewhere in SW Detroit. Anywhere in the vicinity of Woodward North of 8 Mile is a super bad idea during that mess.

I have no intent of participating in or otherwise attending the Dream Cruise. It's more of a Nightmare Trafficjam than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Yeah, sorry for my lack of action here, I think we need to push later. This weekend is busy for me, maybe works maybe doesn't, so later in August is safer.

I'll stare at my calendar for a while and see what I can sort out. Maybe we just call it August 20 and run with that.
    20th works for me.

No need to apologize, this thread sums up how 2022 has been for me so far. I haven't done much of anything that I've wanted to this year. Also this is kind of how our planning has always gone in the past, so nothing new for the regulars.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    Gone but not forgotten:

Yeah, the Dream Cruise in not in the cards for me as well. I just picked a Daye that's 3 weeks away....we all have schedules, but we should nail down this date or the next thereafter so we can plan. It would be really cool linking up. Trying to get my 79 ready for it.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Yeah, the Dream Cruise in not in the cards for me as well. I just picked a Date that's 3 weeks away....we all have schedules, but we should nail down this date or the next thereafter so we can plan. It would be really cool linking up. Trying to get my 79 there

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Hi folks, sorry again for the lack of direction here.

Are we feeling OK about next Saturday, August 20, the day of the official Woodward Dream Cruise but not incorporating the Dream Cruise into the meet, as discussed above?

I am calling the meet location to be Belle Isle, and will be doing some "reconnaissance" this weekend to scout out some specifics, e.g. establish on a map exactly where we should try to collect ourselves.

The fallback location if I find unresolvable issues with Belle Isle will be Halmich Park in Warren.

Car photo ops (reminder, I am not a photographer but sometimes get a decent result on my decent phone with decent camera) within reasonably short driving distance include the Packard Plant and Fisher Body Plant 21, in addition to along the water and in tree-covered areas on Belle Isle itself.

Food: suggesting any of:
    -My top suggestion, mainly out of selfish want to go back there, is Detroit Shipping Co. in midtown. This is a "beer garden" type of venue with several food vendors and a communal eating space, kind of like a mall food court without the mall. Motorburger, a Windsor burger joint that hopped the border a few years ago, is located there.

Other possibilities:
    -Something Mexican in SW Detroit, maybe Dix/Vernor area (places I've been to and can vouch for are near here)
    -Something like a sandwich bar/deli
    -Any number of Coney Island type places sprinkled all over the region
    -Past suggestions of Derek's, Slow's or Mercury Burger Bar across from each other on Michigan Ave

August 20 works for me. Never been to Bell Isle, as has been established in the past, I don't get out much.

I like your idea on food. Sounds like a spot that might have options suitable for indecisive people.

I'll bring what's left of the '98. The Scab needs too much work that will not be getting done until next year. Mainly tires and a re-visit of lower ball joints that I replaced a few years ago, and then an alignment.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Seems I've jinxed Belle Isle; went there today and for the first time that I've seen or others I've asked, there was a lady there from MDNR checking for the Recreation Pass and selling it to those who want it. I turned around without purchasing it. It did look like the other entry road (it forks into two) was unmanned, however.

I figure if they're doing that on a Sunday, they'll definitely do it on a Saturday.
    Since the meet location is not really forming any sort of "home base" for a long event, just a couple hours tops of casual meet-up, I don't see the value of buying the pass if it's basically just a rally point.

Given the food suggestion in Midtown: how about we try for the free public parking (and if appropriate or required, the adjacent free street parking) for the Detroit Riverwalk? Atwater St and Rivard St. Near enough to the water to hopefully catch a breeze, and there is a cafe on the property with a bathroom facility.

Next waterfront suggestion is Gabriel Richard park, Jefferson at E Grand Blvd, which may offer better shade cover but may be busier.

Detroit Shipping Co. sounds interesting. No food suggestions from me on that side of town. Although there was a Mexican joint in Mexican town which was pretty good. Been several years since I've eaten there though, so I've forgotten the name. Real helpful, right?

Anyway, the 20th won't work for me as we intend to do the cream-cruise. Probably not so much cruise but peruse and spectate. Depending on the time and if everyone on my side can be ready on time, we could swing by for a little while though.

I seem to recall that about Belle Isle. I forget which direction of that fork is unmanned, but that's where I go to avoid fees. Was good the past two times I did that, but the last time I went was about a year ago.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 08-15-2022 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Oh, Belle Isle.

Ha, I can't even spell Belle Isle.

I'm open to whatever has free open parking that we can squat in for a few hours.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

OK, so let's call off the 20th re: Derek and his participation in the World's Largest Parking Lot

At the moment I don't know what my availability is like for anything else so I'll follow up here in a couple days.

Sept 17 is definitely out because RADwood/Concours d'Lemons.

Feel free to throw out ideas if you want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast