No announcement yet.

Metro Detroit Meet 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not available this weekend, July 23/24.
    I am available Saturday July 30, and not Sunday July 31, but that would make it a very busy weekend for me so I'm not sure I like it much.

I'm inclined to suggest we push a little later into August but I can do the 31st if people are feeling it.

I made a Google form to try to piece some data together, please respond if you're wanting to attend: https://forms.gle/K9iDVzPfvfxGLPst6
    Last edited by kishy; 07-18-2022, 01:29 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Too bad it is so far away for me. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I responded to da Googler thing. I also scoped out the park on Five Mile via Google Earth, it doesn't seem to have a parking lot and you get to it via dirt road... I voted for Halmich after spending about ten minutes searching around and coming up with nothing for a viable alternative.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          I responded to da Googler thing. I also scoped out the park on Five Mile via Google Earth, it doesn't seem to have a parking lot and you get to it via dirt road... I voted for Halmich after spending about ten minutes searching around and coming up with nothing for a viable alternative.
          The parking lot is a dirt lot; I saw it in person. For you super clean car types, maybe not your cup of tea, but for us beater folk it's less of an issue I was sort of envisioning using the part of the "lot" closest to Inkster and coming in off that road. There are picnic tables under the trees along that area.

That park offered nothing that Halmich didn't, except for being different. No issues there.

Another possibility would be Belle Isle. I don't think it would be hard to scoop up a group of angled parking spots along the water, and if everyone knows to pack a folding chair, it might work well. Just thinking about August heat levels here, being near the river and a breeze would be nice.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Although this weekend works for me it would be be short notice for those who need to make arrangements to make it work.

If there is interest in a JY run this weekend, there is a large item at PG 8 Mile that if Derek is interested in more hands would certainly help. Satruday 7/23 looks like the better day this weekend to have a chance of dodging rain.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

LoL yes, I made a promise to my Lincoln that it wouldn't ever intentionally see a dirt road.

Vic, are you talkin' about that one 14 bolt you found or a different one? That one you sent me won't work as it's for a 2WD- the axles are narrower on those. Hoping to find a G80 GT4 coded axle, but I'd settle for a GT4 from a 4WD truck. I mean, it's only been three years since I've been trying to find one that wasn't already grenaded.. Think I've popped at least three diff covers off of the elusive GT4/G80 combo and found only disappointment.

Comment

Oh, the search continues then, LOL.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yep. Something tells me that when the rear end in my truck lets go, I'll be stuffing another 10 bolt in it's place.

Comment

I can help with junkyard pulling of stuff on a weekend after the 31st, availability TBD.
                    I've been wanting to get down to Cherry Picked in Toledo, but time keeps getting away from me.

Location proposal: Belle Isle.

Pros:
                    -The roads are paved.
                    -Parking is free and plentiful (angled spots along the river on the south side)
                    -Proximity to water and shade from trees; probably a pretty comfortable place to be even if it's a ludicrously hot day.
                    -Nice scenery, if not where we park, nearby on inner roads, for car photos.
                    -Quickish access to food options in the general area of downtown and west of there, without requiring freeways to get there, with possible bonus availability of food trucks on the island.

Cons:
                    -Officially, on the books, in order to drive to Belle Isle you require a Michigan recreation passport. It is unclear if it is possible to purchase this at the entry booth. In practice, it seems there is never anyone at the booth to actually verify you have the pass or to sell you one and anyone can just drive right over. It is unclear to me if this is enforced in any way.
                    -Also officially on the books, any type of "gathering" needs to be scheduled with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It is unclear to me if this is enforced in any way, and if it is, what that enforcement consists of.

The pass thing is only irritating because it's hard to put a firm number on what it costs. As a non-resident, it looks like I can pay $10 for access for the day, and for our meet purposes I'm actually OK with that. However, if you are a state resident and don't have the pass, it looks like they force you to get the year for $17. And as above, it's unclear if you can even pay this at the booth at all.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

I've been to Belle Isle several times. Didn't pay a dime, no one was manning the booth. I just drove right through. However, for me it seemed like it's pretty easy to get confused where to go. Probably just me. I drive, not navigate.

Comment

So when is this happening? Interested if there is going to be junkyarding.
                        1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                        2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Right??

Pick a day fellas, I'll be there.

Comment

August 20 works for me.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Yeah, sorry for my lack of action here, I think we need to push later. This weekend is busy for me, maybe works maybe doesn't, so later in August is safer.

I'll stare at my calendar for a while and see what I can sort out. Maybe we just call it August 20 and run with that.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Pushing it all the way out there. Works for us I guess. Isn't that Dreamcruise weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X