Monty's 2004 Crown Victoria Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty's 2004 Crown Victoria Sport

2004 CV Sport. I bought it back in 2012 from a small town dealer without actually seeing the car in person. Had 100K miles on it at the time of purchase. Has about 110K miles on it now. I haven't really done anything to this car other than maintenance and repairs. Put new tires on it last year. Bad thing about it is that someone must have done paint-less dent repair at some point to repair hail damage, and they cracked the paint in spots. I might do the J-mod to this one someday to improve the shifts. I'd like to repaint it, too. Have thought about buying a Stainless Works cat-back exhaust system for this car. I've thought about selling this car many times, but that's probably because it sits during the Winters. Hasn't seen snowy/salty roads since I've owned it. I'd probably sell it for the right price.

I do have one issue with this car, though. It's a Sport, but drives like a luxury car. My '98 CV is a plain LX, and drives like what a Sport should.
    Attached Files

That paint defect comes right from the factory. I have the same stuff popping up on the roof of my 2008 (red) also and its the same paint defect a couple folks on the other site have brought up. Whats the cause? Who knows, but theres lots of oppertunities for contamination in the plant.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had thought it was from a bad PDR job because of how spotty it was.

Comment

Looks really nice. Has the flint interior I see. I got lucky with my 03 Sport and found the charcoal color. And yea, Ford paint defect. I have a spot on my hood the size of a half dollar that has popped recently and 1 small spot on the trunk lid.

I put KYB police spec shocks on all 4 corners and replaced the rear upper and lower control arms with CHE Performance bars. Made a noticeable differance. Still would like to get a larger bar for up front and some poly bushings as that would likely tighten it up further. I just have to keep in mind the balance of F/R bars so as not to introduce any strange handling aspects. It's not an autocrosser and will never be so I just have to accept that. I'd love to go for a full stainless works exhaust setup. Just need to cough up the few grand and a few days to fight the full length headers into it. Maybe I can justify it by needing to replace a manifold Might have to settle for finding a stock catback in the JY and having new mufflers installed and getting tails w/o the stupid resonator in it. I'd like to hear it a bit more. Not Mustang/raspy loud just something that isn't Grandpa cruising around the retirement community quiet.

Do have a question for you though, how's the rear axles holding up in it? You notice any play in the outboard bearings/axles yet? My 03 has been a PITA in this area and trashed 2 sets of axles/bearings before I had enough and swapped the entire rear axle for one from an '11. Ford had the "soft axle" issue on the 03+ cars for a while and of course the CV wasn't covered. I still to this day can't understand how Ford screwed up the 8.8 this badly in the later years.
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I did not know about the rear axle issue with these cars. I'll check the rear axles when I get a chance. Thanks.

Comment

IIRC it was fixed by 04.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Nice lookin' car Monty.

I think the paint problem is either the clear coat giving up the ghost or similar to GM's paint woes of the early 1990's. They didn't use primer sealer and so that leaves the epoxy based ecoat vulnerable to UV exposure. Over time, the ecoat chalks and when it does badly enough, it pops the paint layers above it. My best guess anyway. There are lots of whales around here doing the same thing, white seems to be the worst.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It certainly wouldn't hurt to check the axle play when you have it off the ground just because even the normal ones go from time to time. often due to weepy seals and thus low oil.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The soft axle issue I think was just 02/03. TSB I found on CVN says shafts made before 1/1/2003, but doesn't give a start date or an end of use date.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yea I checked mine on the 03 at about 30Kmiles. The car was made Mar 03?. It is a 300B. Don't know about the shafts. Maybe I will check again at 40K.
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Right on, and in time to enjoy some of the warm weather with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X