Manual swap inbound… not a T5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual swap inbound… not a T5!

I’m officially going with a TR3650 in my ‘89. I had planned to use my T5Z, but I got a screaming deal on a good 3650… after vigilant junkyard searching for years, I found an ‘04 GT that didn’t already have its guts stripped and for the paltry sum of $245 +tax I walked away with a good unit. The most expensive part of the swap is the Hanlon Motorsports adapter at $525. Yes, it’s only available with an electronic speedo output, but I’m planning on an aftermarket digital dash anyway.

Which leads me to my next point, making the electronic speedo signal work for my RAS/EVO steering swap(using my ‘01 HPP as a donor). I *THINK* the 4R70 uses a 7 tooth OSS sensor ring while the TR3650 uses a 12-tooth. I want the variable power steering to function as it does from the factory, I’m wondering if it could be as simple as having a 7-tooth ring machined for the 3650. Thoughts? Input? Experience?

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Well I have no experience...but sounds awesome! Should hold up better than the T5Z I would think. If you can please post up some pictures of your progress
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I will post pics of progress once it happens. I found an OSS to speedo cable adapter that will actually drive a speedometer. My thinking is to adapt it to the OE VSS(remotely mounted) to provide a corrected signal for the ECM and Tripminder. Then figure out what the ‘01 RAS/EVO module is looking for, in terms of a usable speed signal so I can add all that stuff to the ‘89. Again, I plan to run an aftermarket digital dash, so that gives me options. I have EVTM’s and Ford wiring diagram manuals on order to help out. I miss having access to Pro-Demand and Alldata!

I plan to get back to making YT videos on this stuff and start from bone-stock and have a build series of sorts. I don’t have any hard and fast performance goals, but modernizing and improving EVERY aspect of one of these cars and making it more enjoyable to drive is what I’m after.
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Don’t know if this helps anybody, but it’ll help me keep baseline information straight.

SEFI boxes expect(approx.) 8,000 pulse per mile signal to the ECM

Electronic OSS equipped 4R70 cars(unsure of year change from VSS to OSS) expect a, roughly, 16,000 pulse per mile signal.

TR3650 equipped Mustangs expect a 32,000 pulse per mile signal.

Comment

I know nothing about that transmission but I am all on board for the manual swap!

Looking forward to your progress and videos.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
          X