WTB air suspension compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB air suspension compressor.

Pretty sure the air suspension compressor is shot in my '02 LSE, for the last 4 months or so the "air suspension" light on the dash would come on after about 30 minutes of driving. Shut the car off and start it and everything was fine for another 30 minutes or so. The vent solenoid is still working and until the other day it would pump up when you start the car. As of yesterday the compressor runs for about 1 second then trips the dash light, no sagging in the rear so I'm guessing it's just the compressor. Anyone have a known good one they want to sell before I go dropping $200 plus on an Arnott or Suncore?
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

change the relay if you haven't. If the contacts are fried it might do this sort of thing. The fact that the pump runs at all makes me think it may not be dead. Usually they work, or they don't run at all. Not much in between.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I may have one of these, from my old '97. I would need direction on bench testing as that car had been swapped to coils so I never saw it run. But maybe I never saw it run because it was seized from never being disabled prior to coil conversion.

Provided it works, it would be free plus shipping. The caveats are 1) I don't know where it is, 2) I don't know that it works, and 3) I don't know that the 97 part crosses with 02.

I second the suggestion to otherwise verify the electrical side of things, and I'll set this thing aside if I come across it.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        change the relay if you haven't. If the contacts are fried it might do this sort of thing. The fact that the pump runs at all makes me think it may not be dead. Usually they work, or they don't run at all. Not much in between.
        Just tried swapping the relay, same thing. Compressor runs for a split second and then the dash light comes on.
        Last edited by mercurygm88; 04-20-2022, 07:10 PM.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
          I may have one of these, from my old '97. I would need direction on bench testing as that car had been swapped to coils so I never saw it run. But maybe I never saw it run because it was seized from never being disabled prior to coil conversion.

Provided it works, it would be free plus shipping. The caveats are 1) I don't know where it is, 2) I don't know that it works, and 3) I don't know that the 97 part crosses with 02.

I second the suggestion to otherwise verify the electrical side of things, and I'll set this thing aside if I come across it.
          It looks like 1992-2011 is the same compressor for the Grand Marquis. 1998-2002 Lincolns got the different compressor.

​

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Compressor is a 4 wire plug. 2 go into the motor, 2 go into the pump part. Apply 12vdc to the pair going into the motor. If it makes air the polarity is right. if it doesn't, flip the wires and it should make air. The wires into the pump are for the vent solenoid.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Compressor is a 4 wire plug. 2 go into the motor, 2 go into the pump part. Apply 12vdc to the pair going into the motor. If it makes air the polarity is right. if it doesn't, flip the wires and it should make air. The wires into the pump are for the vent solenoid.
                Thanks. I’ll check it out when I get the chance. Hopefully it’s not some kind of electrical gremlin.

​

Comment

I was able to get a NIB Arnott compressor for cheap locally. That solved the problem, the vent solenoid on the old compressor wasn’t working at all.

​

Comment

thats what failed on my Conti's compressor. Pump ran fine, but there was a nugget of trash stuck in the solenoid. When I tried to clear it, the plastic parts of the solenoid turned into dust and that was all she wrote. Still pumped fine but it basically had a hole in the side of it that all the air dumped out through.

Comment

"A nugget of trash." LoL
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

rust specifically. Got there when I pulled the thing to replace the rubber grommets. I turned the pump and it fell in there. really kind of pissed me off, the compressor was working fine before I touched it, just it was loud because the bushings were gone and it was vibrating against the body. Trying to make it quieter cost me 200 bucks for a replacement compressor.

Comment

That's why I have a hard time convincing myself to fix things. I usually create another issue if I even solve that one at all. So I sit there and think about what could possibly go wrong. Depending on what ends up populating that list I either attempt it myself, farm it out or leave it be.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                          X