Anyone swapped over to the mustang style front drive? plus intake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone swapped over to the mustang style front drive? plus intake question

I am looking at possibly swapping over to the mustang front accessory drive on my 85 2 dr. Has anyone done it. Swapping the alternator over to the pass side and the A/C compressor to the driver side. I am wanting to clean up the front of the motor. What about the reverse rotation water pump? I know I will need new A/C lines.

Intake question; I have a 96 Explorer GT40 upper intake. Will it work with a 2000 Explorer GT40 lower?

Thanks for the help

Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Not quite sure how a fox accessory drive would look any cleaner tho...
    Only actual advantage I see with a mustang acc drive would be the auto-tensioner and that's about it. Just as tall and wide it seems. One belt can be seen as a pro or con tbh.

I think foxbodies all use a reverse rotation WP, and panthers have a standard rotatio

Would you route the AC lines behind the intake like in the foxes, or some other way? Either way they would be one-off and thus way more expenseive. You'd also need to rewire the alternator loom and AC clutch wiring
    You might also need a foxbody thermostat housing and upper rad hose, which might not fit correctly to the box panther radiator.
    Are you/will you be running the smog pump?

Only thing acc. drive related I'm be interested in is a newer (quieter) AC compressor. That's why I read into the fox setup some time ago.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
      I am looking at possibly swapping over to the mustang front accessory drive on my 85 2 dr. Has anyone done it. Swapping the alternator over to the pass side and the A/C compressor to the driver side. I am wanting to clean up the front of the motor. What about the reverse rotation water pump? I know I will need new A/C lines.

Intake question; I have a 96 Explorer GT40 upper intake. Will it work with a 2000 Explorer GT40 lower?

Thanks for the help

Tim
      Purchasing the Mustang-specific water pump will be all you'd need since they use the same timing cover as a panther. I would still go the extra step of maybe throwing in a new timing chain set since it wouldn't be much more work to remove the timing cover once everything else is off.

The intakes should work fine together.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

The later Explorer intake doesn't have the EGR provision. Not a problem if you aren't running EGR. If you are running EGR, you probably want to source a different lower.

Johnnie Blaze ran the Mustang set up on his. I think mainly because it was available with his engine. Don't recall the specifics, but you could try messaging him. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...going-project)
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The AC plumbing gets messy if you want to flip it over to the opposite side. Battery needs to move too, its in the way of the air intake. Honestly I don't think it would be much of an improvement. My Mark VII has the same front engine stuff as a Mustang and the AC crap is in the way. The belt wrap is better so no squeaky alternator and it does have a spring tensioner but I don't really feel thats quite enough of a bonus to justify the effort.

also need to consider throttle and TV cables. The stock ones will not work.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info. I do have an ulterior motive for wanting to change to a mustang style front drive, or any single belt front drive system. for that matter.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Also, don’t forget that you’ll need to use the Mustang fan and clutch if you’re sticking with the mechanical setup. The reverse flow will spin in the opposite direction, so the blade pitch will be different.
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
              X