Anybody Ever ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody Ever ......

Do what would be considered a partial brake fluid change by simply siphoning out the fluid from the MC repeatedly and replacing until most of the fluid is changed. I've always done the traditional method of refilling while bleeding the brakes but a friend mentioned it and I was curious as to your thoughts - pro and con!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

It doesn't really work as the fluid doesn't really circulate.
    Easiest way to change the fluid is to siphon the reservoir, fill it with new to the brim and then open bleeders at the wheels to let it gravity bleed. Keep topping up the reservoir and it should slowly push out the old fluid from the lines.
    Might not work with newer vehicles with ABS pumps and such.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The method I've been told is to remove as much fluid from the reservoir and fill with clean... vacuum pump from the right rear, left rear, right front, left front, until clear and keeping the reservoir full. Once each one is clear, bleed to satisfaction and top up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have, but usually as a precursor to bleeding the lines. No point in wasting time pumping an entire reservoir worth of fluid through the lines. Did it on my truck when I got it, but only bled 3 of the wheels. The bleeder was stuck on the front left and I wasn't inclined to mess with it.

otherwise agree there isn't a lot of point to it. It doesn't circulate so it doesn't get rid of anything nasty in the lines or calipers.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X