No announcement yet.

Ian's Boxy Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that makes sense in that I couldn't see where it connects to. And the retainer tie maybe just keeps the cloth cover in place. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Well I did get the rear tailgate glass installed and working. Only problem was because of the damage to the tailgate panel the license plate screws were pushed far enough in to impact the bottom of the glass.
      So took the slide hammer to it and pulled the panel out enough so it would let the glass lower. Will be sourcing a replacement tailgate in the future.
      Hope the video link works.
      https://www.facebook.com/ian.mccrimm...16659947134557

Coinciding with the US Memorial Day weekend the local PnP had a 50% off sale. And wouldn't you know it but two fresh arrivals hit the yard-an 89 and a 91 GM.
      I grabbed the inner door cards and headliner from the darker interior of the two. But smaller rear brakes were of no use to me and the master cylinders were the newer style and metric as I was hoping for a proportioning valve and maybe better brake lines as I had to cut mine and remove with a 6-point socket. I guess new lines are in order. And the rear brake line literally fell apart in my hands so its gotta go. Have a new rear brake hose-not taking any chances as I suspect the lines are rusted solid.
      Also when working on the brakes I started to bleed the brakes when the rear started leaking and found out the fronts were seized. I also think the prop valve is stuck as I cannot get it all apart. Lots of crud in it so I also picked up a used unit from a Jeep YJ. Will try it out but planning on an adjustable valve in the future as well.

And finally got 50% of the wheels mounted and test fitted...

Click image for larger version  Name:	284646082_10158781187738434_9112667172151899675_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	1290305
      Last edited by ianmcc; 12-28-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Those wheels look way better on the car than I would've expected just from the wheel image. Looks great!
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Nice work on getting the rear window in and functioning. There is no reason you cannot scrounge up the brake stuff from the 89 and 91 and put it all into your car. If you are gonna make lines already you can just swap in all the of newer bits.

Limited wheels look good on there.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Wheels look great on there.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It's on jackstands right now so once I get all four on and on the ground we will work on a proper stance.
              And spent today scrounging new and used parts for the brake lines so at least all the rear lines from the prop valve back will be new.
              As far as the back window I did follow others on here and drilled out the rivets holding the motor in place so I could go through the motor and clean and lube all the slides.
              Also vacuum out the last of the broken glass in the deepest depths.
              One question-anyone recommend a donor or source for the cable restraint-mine is rusted in half. I read online that an 18" will fit but its about 2" too long.

Comment

Glad to see ya bringing it back!
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

A classy piece of FoMoCo history soon to be on the road again. Nice job. The wheels look great.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Did up a revival video on getting the old girl out of its resting place.
                    My first attempt at a will it run video.

Comment

EXCELLENT video! Just as good as any of the channels on Youtube. NICE work!!
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

+1 well done on the video and the car. Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

"Still in the crate" LOL

Comment

I especially liked the "two part spark plugs"!
                            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Man that tire! I can't believe the fuel pump and the rest of the fuel system was okay.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

All I did was replace the fuel filter. The condition of the fuel pump and tank are still in question. I eventually put a carb kit in it and was amazed at how clean it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X