Side Marker Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Marker Lights

What is the function of these lights? I just replaced the bulbs on the driver side and when I went to test all the lights; I can't get these to light up; on either side. Are they on their own circuit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1305929 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1305930

Cornering lamps; same thing as the "ditch lights" on a box. They illuminate solid and throw white light down and to the side while the turn signal for the same side is on.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Yah; I tested both sides with the blinkers and they don't light up; just the amber bulbs blink.

Comment

Did you have the headlights turned on when you tried it? AFAIR they only operate if the headlights are on.

Comment

+1 only when headlights are on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OT-ish but the lineage/evolution of that feature is neat trivia. To me anyway.

Boxes pre-90 require key-on, turn signal on, no requirement for headlights. The turn signal circuit powers one of those weird thermal relays that acts as a delay timer, and relays power to the cornering lamp.

Boxes 90-91 (and probably aeros to 94, pre-LCM) do not require key-on, but do require headlights on. This has the effect of you being able to use the cornering lamps as exit/courtesy lighting in combination with autolamps.

I don't know if the LCM cars require the key on, I don't remember from my 97. I do however remember that some LCMs in specific years have an extra connector related to cornering lamps which other years don't have.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

You people are genius'!!! I put the headlights on yesterday and used the blinkers and they came on. Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X