Air suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air suspension

Does anyone here know the air suspension system on these cars in depth? I’ve been having an issue with my ‘02 LSE for the last six months or so.

Everything works normal but after approximately 30 minutes the air suspension light comes on and the compressor won’t run until I shut the key off and turn it back on.

I just replaced the compressor about two weeks ago because the original was nearly froze up, it would never run for more than a split second. I was hoping this would fix the issue. I’ve let this thing sit for up to a month and it doesn’t seem to leak down any. I’m stumped.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-07-2022, 07:03 PM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

I don't know all the details, but better than no-one I guess.

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    ... Everything works normal but after approximately 30 minutes the air suspension light comes on and the compressor won’t run until I shut the key off and turn it back on. ...
    Can you elaborate on the first part? Does the compressor come on briefly after first starting the engine? Is the 30 minutes measured from when the engine is started?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

So when it is sitting idle, does the rear sit level? Measure the space between the rear quarters and top of the tire. When it pumps up is it level? Normally when it sits it should vent some air and drop the rear a bit. Maybe one of the vent solenoids is messed up.

Check the ride height sensor on the rear axle and make sure it's free and not disconnected or loose.

Beyond that the only thing I can think of would be to disconnect the battery for a while and then see if the system resets itself after you power it back up.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

The vent solenoid is on the compressor. That is working fine. The ride height sensor is set so it sits a tad bit above level. It was like that when I got it.

I’ll have to get under there and check the height sensor. Wouldn’t you know I had to go on an hour trip today and it was the first time in six months that the light didn’t come on.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
          I don't know all the details, but better than no-one I guess.

Can you elaborate on the first part? Does the compressor come on briefly after first starting the engine? Is the 30 minutes measured from when the engine is started?
          The compressor runs for a few seconds to level the car when I start it. And yes the time is measured from when the engine is started.

​

Comment

The only thing I can think of is an electrical gremlin.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              The only thing I can think of is an electrical gremlin.
              That’s what I’m thinking too unfortunately. I was thinking about this and the first time it ever happened was actually last June. I was sitting waiting for a train and got rear ended in a line of 4 cars. Someone plowed into the three cars behind me at about 70mph. It totaled all four of those cars and didn’t even scuff my bumper. It did shove me about ten feet forward in park though, I almost killed two guys on motorcycles.

All I got out of that was my insurance raising my rates. Ohio says It doesn’t matter that I wasn’t at fault, I was still “involved” what horse shit, also a minor case of whiplash, and six months of phone calls and letters from law firms wanting to represent me.

There was no apparent damage but later that night on my way home the air suspension light flickered briefly. But the problem with it coming on after a pre determined time had elapsed didn’t start until last November or December.

​

Comment

Perhaps a wire was damaged during the accident and it just got worse over time?
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

gotta love "everyone is at fault" insurance.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                    Perhaps a wire was damaged during the accident and it just got worse over time?
                    It’s possible. But considering the air suspension module and EVO module are apparently one and the same I’m thinking both this problem and my steering problem are related to that module.

​

Comment

Working...
                    X