PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadillac Horn Mod

The relay should handle 20-30A. The circuit I think is fused at 10A. From what I remember, I think my 88 had a draw of about 4-5A total.
    The universal relays should be rated for 30A. You can run a fused wire from the battery using one of those inline fuse holders and install a 15A fuse to a relay and then trigger that relay with the stock horn button.

you can read up on this stuff here: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/spd...ive-relays.asp
    the 12 volt .com is a good source for beginners and experts alike.

Check the ads at the bottom of the page and buy a pack of relays with the wire harness and that will make it much easier to swap in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Sly, to make sure I comprehend you...
    From +ve battery terminal use an inline fuse to the relay, then keep the original wiring from the relay to the horns.
    What gauge wire should I use for the in-line fuse?
    This is the in-line fuse I am looking at getting today...
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...pressionRank=1
    As for the relay... I will speak with my NAPA store and see what they have.

If you go a new relay route, just use the horn button input to the original relay and run your own to the new stuff.
    Pretty much yes, that fuse holder. Use that same gauge wire or 16 gauge and you'll be fine. Run the fuse at the battery (starter solenoid - battery side), then run wire to the relay common, then same wire from the normally open on the relay to the horns. Then just run some wire to ground the other side of the coil on the relay that the horn button wire will go to.

Quick paint diagram:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simple horn relay.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	58015

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for your support.
    Installed the ACDF horns - sound epic!
    Here is where they are located:
    One in each of the original location, and the other two close by behind the headlights.
    No additional drilling needed (fortunately!).
    Had to cut off part of the horn mounting bracket to fit, but other than that, no major work needed.
    Used an inline fuse holder, with a 30A in it.
    Original relay kept.
    Mounted each of the four ground wires to the body. Positives linked together using the original connector from both sides.
    One of the easiest things done to the car.
    Sounds a peach!
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel (1890-1965)

Penelope - 1952 International L200
    Jean - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park GS
    Lucy - 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Good to hear it was such an easy install. Could you post a picture of the holes you used to mount through?

I would reduce the fuse to 15 or 20 as the 30 will not protect the wires. The wires are too thin and will fuse first before the fuse would blow.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I would reduce the fuse to 15 or 20 as the 30 will not protect the wires. The wires are too thin and will fuse first before the fuse would blow.
    I used a 20 and it blew that!
    Stan Laurel (1890-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    Good to hear it was such an easy install. Could you post a picture of the holes you used to mount through?
    I will have to get photos when it is a little cooler. Shocked to say it is in the low 90's out here in WA today... where it was miserable two weeks ago.
    I should have taken photos throughout the install!
    Stan Laurel (1890-1965)

Glad to hear you got them installed

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishChap View Post
    I used a 20 and it blew that!
    Wow. You might need to upgrade the fuse holder and wire then. 30 amps needs 10 gauge wire. You might get by with 16 for a while, but if you use the horn for more than just a quick toot, you may fire the wires.

I'm a little late to my own party, but I did finally install the horns on my Lincoln:

Like the English Chap, I managed without drilling any new holes, although some locations are currently less than ideal. My 20 amp circuit, however, has been sufficient so far. The Delco Remy horns are from '80s Cadillacs or Buicks - I can't recall at this point - so they ground through the mounting bolt. At some point in the '90s I believe they must've switched to a two wire setup. But the Lincoln's fenders are already grounded for the stock horns, so the single wire horns weren't a problem. It also made for simpler wiring. I grabbed the horn 'harness' from an '80s Eldorado to swap out with the stock wiring from the point of the header panel connector, near the factory engine bay relays. GM used a slightly larger wire than Ford, but since they're both 20 amp circuits I'm just going to run the stock wiring from the connector back and not worry too much about it.

Three of four Delco Remy horns. The fourth note came from a different model Cadillac, and while it was still a one wire unit, the mounting bracket was a little different. They all had tabs to help locate them on the fender, and as I assume the English Chap did, I ground them off to make a flat surface for my own car.

Right two horns. One is obscured by the header panel and battery, but you can see the mounting bolt just above the battery's positive terminal, as well as the green horn wire snaking through the fender.

And the left two. The Eldorado harness just barely stretched between the horns mounted in this way.

The stock notes are high 'A' on the passenger fender and low 'F' on the driver's side. Ford mounted horns from below, while GM liked to mount from above. Without drilling new holes, finding workable locations meant some compromises in orientation. I put the new 'A' and 'F' horns in their stock locations, but pointed forward instead of down. 'C' and 'D' were bolted to the header panel, with the 'D' horn being the only one to actually point down, but at the cost of being closest to the ground. Whether any of these locations or orientations cause shorter lifespans for the horns remains to be seen.

Finally, just for the hell of it I pulled out my piano tuning app while testing each horn and took stock of where each one was relative to its nominal note. All four of the Delco Remy's were between 4-10 hertz sharp, and if I ever find myself with absolutely nothing to do one day I might try to tune them.

C - 523 hz - I couldn't get a good reading on this one
    A - 440 hz - 450 hz actual
    F - 349 hz - 356 hz actual
    D - 294 hz - 290 hz, slightly flat

Nice. =-) Around 1995 GM went to the metripak connectors and 2 wire connector showed up on the horns.

Where can you buy these from? I seemed to have missed that- or is it all junkyard finds?
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I got mine from the junkyard, though there are people on eBay and elsewhere who sell them, either as sets or individually. The sets look to be quite pricey, but if you keep the stock horns you only need to add the 'D' and 'C' horns, and of the two I think the 'D' is the better bang for your buck. Different GM cars ran different combinations of these horns, with what I assume were top trim models getting all four notes. In my searching the yards, the high 'C' horn seemed to be the rarest, which could be reflected in used prices online.

Nice work Sounds good.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12