Adding an ac system to my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding an ac system to my car

I'm looking to add ac to my factory non ac car. I have questions that hopefully some of you can answer. Here they are: -Will I need to pull the entire evaporator box out of the parts car or can i just take my evaporator box thats already in my car that was plugged off from factory and put the evaporator core inside (is there any hardware in the box that actually holds it into place)
    - Since this is an R12 system where did you get your retrofit kit for r134a
    - what type of oil did you use once you retrofitted (mineral oil, PAG?)

As far as the ac components, I plan on buying brand new equipment, the parts car is mainly utilized for the brackets, wiring, and any related hardware.

Note i will be using something similar to this https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOHOME-Manif...s%2C108&sr=8-5
    plus a scale and I shouldn't have a problem aquiring r134a

If you can answer my questions or add on to anything in this topic, it will be appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 05-14-2022, 06:09 PM.

You can use your current box. You may need the foam surround for the evap to wedge it into the hole properly. Retrofit kits are available at most local parts stores, Amazon, RockAuto, etc. If you're using all new parts for the AC components (compressor, lines, condenser, evap, accumulator, orifice tube) then the old R12 contamination will not be an issue. Use PAG oil or Ester oil. You can use a parts evap and just use AC flush to clean it out and then just use Ester oil. 2oz in the evap, 2 oz in the condensor, 4 in the compressor. Once everything is connected and pumped down, manually turn the compressor a dozen times to make sure the oil is moved around everywhere in it and won't hydrolock and blow out seals under engine speed.

That kit looks like a deal, but you may need a valve core tool to make sure the cores are tight if they are removable. If the new lines have non-removable valves, then there's no need.

Also, the leak detector only works on systems with refrigerant in it. Won't help you out with the initial install, but may come in handy later down the road.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

so far i have everything in except the condensor and low pressure switch, I tried threading the low pressure switch on but the threads on the switch are too big. I ordered it for a r134a system but obviously its not the correct part. So my question is if I order the switch for a r12 system will it thread on?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ch+switch,4284

Comment

They will both be the same thread. There's a couple different places they are mounted. One is on the low pressure line going to the compressor. The other is the side port on the accumulator/dryer. If one doesn't work, try the other. They should both have schrader valves. Also, verify the part number of the part against what is on the box just in case you got some mixed up box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I only see one on the side of the accumulator. I checked the part number on the box and its correct, I couldnt find a part number on the part itself, so its very possible its been switched out. Can someone post a picture of the accumulator and pressure switch on their car? thanks.

Comment

Here's the accumulator with two shrader valves.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	69F01E69-9330-4287-A6EE-40F9E6702D5B.png
Views:	1
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	1290403
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yes, one for the low pressure port and the other for the pressure switch

Comment

yea switch was wrong, heres the final product. Blows ice cold Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1290406

Comment

VICTORY!
                    Cold AC is requirement.

Comment

in all my years on here, I think this is a first. Someone purposely installed AC on one of these rather than removing it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        in all my years on here, I think this is a first. Someone purposely installed AC on one of these rather than removing it.
                        Yeah, wow. Very cool, literally even. Looks fact-ree too.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                        X