Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 HO in an EFi MGM

Hi guys,
    My 88 MGM's engine must be replaced or rebuilted.
    I found a 94 mustang engine (302 HO)
    I'm wondering if I can install the EFi upper intake , sensor wiring... ont the HO engine and could work as is ?
    Is it possible to fit the Efi upper intake directly on the HO lowe intake without modification ?
    I know I have to change the firing order and I don't care about more hp, I just want my car live again.

Thanks !
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

The stock intake is diff from the HO and I think the 94/95 had that weird elbow. Probably gonna have to find a previous year intake or get one from an explorer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly if you don’t care about power then just slap the stock lower/upper intake and call it a day

Comment

The 94 mustang engine has a different firing order. So you will need to swap in the engine computer from a Mark VII as well. You can use Mustang ECMs but you will loose cruise control.

Also, the HO intake should be reversable to point in the correct direction as well. But you will need to make custom brackets to get the throttle/TV cables to fit right.

The easiest way would be to swap a lopo cam into the HO long block and swap all accessories, water pump included, onto the HO block and put the lopo intake on top (upper and lower sections). Then there's no wiring or ECM shenanigans to worry about. Still a PITA though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Unless you REALLY want to do what you asked it would be much easier to find a competent re-builder for your current engine and call it a day!
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Slap the 94/95 HO engine in with YOUR upper plenum just like stock. Plug in a Mark VII ecu like Sly said and you’re ready to rock. Easy-peasy
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              The easiest way would be to swap a lopo cam into the HO long block and swap all accessories, water pump included, onto the HO block and put the lopo intake on top (upper and lower sections). Then there's no wiring or ECM shenanigans to worry about. Still a PITA though.
              This. If you don't want the extra horses from the HO. The lower intakes should be the same.

You sure you don't want the extra horses? It's 75 more. That's a 50% increase over the 150 stock. You could leave the HO long block alone. I'd really consider it if you have the HO donor.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That was my bad, for whatever reason I was convinced it had the gt40 plenum design. I had seen someone on the pimpxs forum selling a standalone ecu for 500. Might be cheaper than a rebuild or tearing down the block and switching cams or trying to find a mustang ecm and harness. Also it’s pretty much plug and play on our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                  Slap the 94/95 HO engine in with YOUR upper plenum just like stock. Plug in a Mark VII ecu like Sly said and you’re ready to rock. Easy-peasy
                  This would work and would be easiest, but you'd be losing ponies as the upper plenum is only 40mm whereas the HO is 60, if I recall right. That's where more work comes in though, as you have to swap linkages from your TB to the HO TB and bore out the stock EGR spacer or get Lightning stuff. Something like that.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    This would work and would be easiest, but you'd be losing ponies as the upper plenum is only 40mm whereas the HO is 60, if I recall right. That's where more work comes in though, as you have to swap linkages from your TB to the HO TB and bore out the stock EGR spacer or get Lightning stuff. Something like that.
                    You can also put the stock egr and tb like I did when I did the gt40 swap. Still got more power than I did before.

Comment

50 vs 60mm on the throttle body. The 93- HO upper should be available, Mustang guys removed those things for years. Need the throttle body, a friend with a welder to swap the levers over, and someone with a lathe or a mill to bore out your existing EGR spacer to the proper size to marry it all together. That can come later, short term just stick the lopo upper on and roll with it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’d be willing to bet that if you were a REAL miser, you could simply change the fuel injector wiring to match the HO firing order and it would *probably* still work without changing the ECU. I’ve had HO’s run and idle fine of off the stock LOPO ECU’s before(without changing any wiring), but didn’t drive them so I can’t speak to the drivability of doing that.
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

no. Do not fuck with the injector wiring under any circumstances ever. The fuel trims will be incorrect. Less harm from leaving it with the wrong firing order and 14# injectors than swapping bank to bank. The ECM knows that 1-4 is one bank and 5-8 is the other. Shuffling the wiring around puts 1, 2, 5, and 7 on one bank and 3,4,6,8 on the other. It will not be possible to lean out bank one or two without having it shift on both sides at the same time.

This is a very well tread path at this point, and if its possible to fuck it up, I'd bet money someone has already done it. Handily the route that works is also the easiest, just plug the right ECM in.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                            Plus 19lb injectors
                            1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              no. Do not fuck with the injector wiring under any circumstances ever. The fuel trims will be incorrect. Less harm from leaving it with the wrong firing order and 14# injectors than swapping bank to bank. The ECM knows that 1-4 is one bank and 5-8 is the other. Shuffling the wiring around puts 1, 2, 5, and 7 on one bank and 3,4,6,8 on the other. It will not be possible to lean out bank one or two without having it shift on both sides at the same time.

This is a very well tread path at this point, and if its possible to fuck it up, I'd bet money someone has already done it. Handily the route that works is also the easiest, just plug the right ECM in.
                              Yeah, I didn’t even think about that. Would be along the same lines as having the O2’s reading from the wrong side. Creates a runaway rich/lean condition as it continues to try to correct one bank or the other but can’t. Sorry guys, screwed the pooch on that comment! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X