Moog Problem Solver (private label) parts at RockAuto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moog Problem Solver (private label) parts at RockAuto

Just noticed RockAuto seems to have picked up some inventory of private labeled Moog Problem Solver suspension and steering parts, covering multiple generations of Panthers, and they're priced pretty reasonably. Not as good as when we had $6 upper ball joints a couple years ago, but still better than regular price.

I noticed idler arms, lower and upper ball joints, and inner and outer tie rod ends, among other things. Just look up your vehicle and see if they're offered.

For those unaware, private labeled parts come in the box of another brand and effectively have no warranty because the retailer which originally supported the part has liquidated them to one of RockAuto's suppliers.
    The pattern we've seen in the past is that usually the private labeled Moog parts come in a CarQuest box, but there's no guarantee that's the case every time.

The hazard with parts that come through this channel is they're typically very old stock and things like rubber boots might be dry rotted or otherwise not in their prime.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

I've got most of a front end rebuild for the Towncar from a prior one of these. Good parts, but as mentioned sometimes the boots are questionable. You can usually get just boots separately if thats needed though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought an upper ball joint once that was missing the dust boot entirely. It’s a gamble, but a sensible one.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I bought a pair and one came with a crumbled boot, let RA know about it and they sent me another one with a good boot. Those two are currently on my 93 with the bad boot one sitting on a shelf just in case since they were clearance OLD stock items.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I picked up some items, here are my outcomes:
          • K8685 lower ball joint for 95-02 Panther: received two parts visually identical to recent production, both made in USA and came in boxes consistent with ones I've bought over the last several year. Boots both soft and flexible.
          • EV419 inner tie rod end for Focus: received two of the visibly same part, but one was in a re-taped box and has tool marks showing it has been installed or otherwise "messed with" before. Return/replacement requested. The other was fine. Both parts made in USA and came in visibly very old Moog-branded boxes.

Nothing ground-breaking here, just found it surprising that the wholesaler closeouts this time around are not white-boxed. I don't recall if I've seen K8685 made anywhere besides USA; maybe I've seen Mexico before?

Sort of conflicted about the one inner tie rod end. The joint is tight and threads look perfect and maybe like they were never threaded into anything. The hex formed onto the shaft for alignment adjustments is mangled from wrench slip, though. I don't think it was ever on a vehicle but I do think it could create some headaches if I try to use it, hence reporting the problem for replacement.
          Last edited by kishy; 05-26-2022, 09:48 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Haven't been impressed with the latest Moog stuff lately switched over to AC Delco Professional, haven't had any issues yet. The most recent purchase was lower control arms that are hecho en china but appear to be well made and the ball joints are good to go.
            1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
            2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Working...
            X