Gear selector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear selector

Hey guys I have a 1979 LTD-S wagon. My gear selector is out of line. For example when I'm Drive it shows I'm in Neutral. Im wondering if there's a quick fix and if this is normal.

Drop the fuse panel cover (directly in front of both of your knees when in the drivers seat) and drop the lower steering column cover.

You will see a off white plastic clamp around the steering column shaft/shift tube. There is adjustment in that. Common failure of that part is the plastic breaking and no longer holding tension around the column so when you shift through gears the wire that is attached to the indicator in your cluster does not move or does not move correctly.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If it is broken, zip ties are your friend (assuming you can't find another assembly)!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thanks so much

Comment

I'm hit and miss on the zip ties, depends on how bad its broken. If its just one cracked ear no problem but when the thing turns into 6 pieces you're pretty much stuck sourcing a replacement.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I'm hit and miss on the zip ties, depends on how bad its broken. If its just one cracked ear no problem but when the thing turns into 6 pieces you're pretty much stuck sourcing a replacement.
            Yeah, I guess I assumed he wasn't going to find "lunch meat" when he pulled the cover.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
            X