Aftermarket radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket radio

I have an 84 2 door. Looking for the best setup for a clean looking install. I'm not opposed to the modern classic looking ones either. Just want whatever I use to look good. I have the 05 radio from my donor as well. Any ideas and perhaps pictures of what some of you have done.

I have factory premium sound in my '85. Stock headunit and amp with new speakers. I use a cassette adapter. Sounds alright for me. Looks factory, probably because it is...

Box panthers dashes look older than the factory radios, so some knob style retro radios look more factory than actual 80's radios.
    Classic Car Stereo has a couple good looking head units with okay prices. I've heard the cheapo Caliber retro style head units are kinda crappy for the price.
    For 80's style you can't beat a Blaupunkt Bremen, maybe Blaupunkt Madrid if the Bremen's price drives you away.

You could also leave the factory headunit in place and put whatever you want in the glove box. Enough room for a low depth unit in there.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

My personal favorite radio to date is the 1989 am/fm cassette. Has the right green lighting. Logical knobs and buttons, and it does pretty good picking up radio stations.
      Attached Files

Comment

I did an OEM+ deal in my 84 Continental. 1986 JBL head unit, which looks basically identical to the 84 unit. Made that work with the 86 JBL amp in the trunk. If you didn't know that it wasn't possible to get a JBL rig in 84 you'd assume it was stock. I did mod it for an aux input, sounds better than the cassette input.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What is the difference between using a Premium or JBL head unit? Does the JBL have more channels and watts per channel? And is it important if it all runs through an amp before getting to the speakers?
          1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

The radio itself is basically the same, its the amp that is really different. 40 watts x 4 channels into 8 ohms vs like 15 x 4 channels or 2 channels, depending on the specific amp in question. The output connections on the JBL are line level instead of speaker level but with some determination you can still drive a JBL amp with a standard radio if you get creative with adapters. The speakers were a lot better too, nice 3 ways in the back and 2 ways in the door and dash.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X