Changing Mark VI tail light lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Mark VI tail light lenses.

Does anyone know how to removedthe Mark VI tail light lenses? I was able to remove the entire fender extension/filler panel and then I removed the actual tail light assembly from that. But I'm having no luck with removing the actual lens. I have a pair of reproduction ones that were allegedly made with the original molds, they seem to be legit right down to the markings. But I don't know if the old ones are glued in or if they just press in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Not certain, on this year/model but one would think they have to "bolt in" somewhere. Can't see the factory gluing them in. I know the GM's and CV's of that era do.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I think they glue in, or its stuck into butyl tape. Either way not actually attached with a fastener into the chrome part if you are just replacing the red lens portion.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I think they glue in, or its stuck into butyl tape. Either way not actually attached with a fastener into the chrome part if you are just replacing the red lens portion.
        That part sounds right but I assumed he was replacing the entire assembly and that almost has to be bolted in.

Comment

So like the turn signal lenses I tried to replace this sounds like a huge pain in the ass, unless I can find the whole assembly. So far even the NOS parts I've found have been just the lens. That's twice I've bought U.S. made repro parts for this car that are supposed to be easy to install and found out there actually next to impossible to use, and yet the companies making them maintain a good reputation. I emailed the manufacturer to see what they suggest.

So this is as far as the tail light can be disassembled by unscrewing things

And this is the replacement lens, as you can see it goes quite a ways into the housing, I'm guessing the glue or butyl tape is along the thin edge at the rear of the lens.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-29-2022, 11:08 AM.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

heat gun and patience should be able to separate that. A putty knife, utility knife, flat screwdriver will also probably help getting separation as you slowly heat up the joint.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              heat gun and patience should be able to separate that. A putty knife, utility knife, flat screwdriver will also probably help getting separation as you slowly heat up the joint.
              I'll have to give that a try, there's no rush on this I most likely won't be driving it until I get the trunk lid fixed.

​

Comment

Get some Sprayway SW958 release spray from Amazon. It is made to soften up the hardened seal. You might have to let it soak overnight.
                Get a $2 orange handle pick set from Harbor Freight to help getting into the seal area.
                I have had success with a similar release spray/agent, which I can't get anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  Get some Sprayway SW958 release spray from Amazon. It is made to soften up the hardened seal. You might have to let it soak overnight.
                  Get a $2 orange handle pick set from Harbor Freight to help getting into the seal area.
                  I have had success with a similar release spray/agent, which I can't get anymore.
                  Interesting! Or perhaps the very judicious use of a heat gun.

Comment

The seller said the old glue is often weak enough that they will wiggle out. I haven’t had a chance to try anything yet as I’ve been too busy with more pressing projects.

I already have one of the pick sets that Mainmantom mentioned, I’ll give that a try when I get around to doing this.

​

Comment

I was able to work around the edges of the lens with a putty knife and it eventually came free, there was some sort of two sided tape holding it in. I used some 3M two sided trim tape I had laying around to put the new lens in. I've used this stuff in the past to hold on badges and rub strips and had good luck.

​

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X