Window Run Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Run Channel

For those that have replaced the front window run channels does the factory stuff go all the way down to the bottom of the track inside the door? I’m hoping not as I’m not very good at removing door panels without something breaking. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a 79-91 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, here is a pic of the front door run channel seal. Rear is 24" long, across the top is 19" and along the windshield is 29" long. This is for a front door without vent window. BTW, I have nice good used ones if anybody needs them. WagonMan
    Attached Files
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
      For those that have replaced the front window run channels does the factory stuff go all the way down to the bottom of the track inside the door? I’m hoping not as I’m not very good at removing door panels without something breaking. Thanks!

You should run it all the way down the track, yes. The window may escape the channel or otherwise just rattle excessively if it isn't inside of it for the longest possible length.

On front doors, the front edge is critical for this, the back edge is less critical but still helps. If you have to pick either the front or back edge to be short a couple inches, the back is better for that, but either way you still need to go below the "beltline" of the car, so to speak.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Thanks guys! I neglected to include in my first post the car is a ‘85 4 door CV with vent windows.

Wagonman…do you have a good used set for a vent window door?

Looks like I’ll be enlisting the help of a friend with gentler hands to help me replace them. I think the ideal situation would be to use a good used piece above the belt line(seems like the corner fitment would be better with one) and then using some of the WC-3396 below the belt line to fill in the rest of the track since the factory one doesn’t go all the way down.

Comment

Using new bulk material is really the way to go. Most of the original pieces are pretty well toast by now. Its really not that difficult, just have to be careful with the cuts and use a bit of sealer if needed in the corners to close the gaps up. I sucked at arts and crafts in school but even I managed to get fairly good results. I do suggest getting a decent pair of scissors though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't have any extras for a vent window car. I have 3 wagons with vent windows, so I am keeping what I have. The non-vent seals are close, but would need lots of slices in them to make the short tight bends on the vent window frame. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Window Run Channel

Lol yeah arts and crafts was definitely not something I enjoyed. I’ll go the new bulk material route and get a good pair of heavy duty scissors…and make sure to take my time.

The Wc-3396 seems to be hard to find. Most places are sold out but I found one that claims to have stock.

Last edited by matth825; 05-30-2022, 07:30 PM.

Comment

You might want to checkout www.steelerubber.com - they have all kinds of neat weatherstripping products. Hope you can find something that works. Call or email them for help.
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thx! I’ll send them an email and see what they can do.

Comment

I know others have had success with the WC3396, I did my front doors and I wasn't exactly impressed with the fit. Performance (wind noise reduction) is better than the cracked factory ones, but the fitment is kinda poor. The whole run channel sinks into the window channel itself and doesn't "flare" out like the factory weatherstripping. The run channel doesn't guide in the glass at all. Not really a problem if the glass rises up into the frame very precisely, otherwise it pinches and crushes the seal and pisses me off.

If you can, I'd recommend getting factory style pieces over the generic style (like WC3396). Used OEM run channels will fit the best, but will probably deteriorate fast, like gadget said.
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The glass on mine seems to rise up properly but I’ll take a closer look at it before I commit to doing anything. Good to know it doesn’t guide the window in as well as the original.

I reached out to the company that Frankie mentioned. I also reached out to Fairchild Industries (who is actually local to my area). I’m hoping they have something or would be willing to make something. I could easily bring them my car if they need an example. I’ll keep this post updated if it goes anywhere with them. If they are willing to do something I’d want everyone here to benefit, too.

Comment

Fairchild sells through EBAY, Summit Racing and many other outlets. I am sure there are many more companies providing these products so complete research is key. Just to be clear, I have NO financial connection to Steele Rubber but only suggested them as I have their catalogs and their coverage is large. Mike Campellone is the guy I dealt with but as previously stated, look everywhere possible until you are satisfied and let us know what you find!
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I called Fairchild today and they are not willing to do anything nor do they have any universal material that will work. I emailed Steele the other day but haven’t heard back. I’ll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on Mike…I’ll ask for him and see what he can do.

Comment

Window Run Channel

Didn’t have time to make the call today. When I got home from work I did more searching and cannot find the Wc-3396 anywhere. I’m going to put metro molded in my call list for tomorrow to see if they discontinued it. I did find this website however: https://www.rubbertherightway.com/wi...s-9420-ctg.htm

I have a piece of window channel I pulled from a junkyard car. I’ll measure it up over the weekend and see if I can find a suitable channel from that website.

Last edited by matth825; 06-02-2022, 10:01 PM.

Comment

A little late to the party but I thought I’d share my experience. I did these maybe a year and a half ago and they still look good. I ordered the WC3396 from rockauto but received WC5900-20. It seems the channel gasket is the same but it comes with addition pieces for window scrapers since it’s a kit for a 75-94 Chevy van. I didn’t use the scrapers because they’re a different shape and length than ours. I didn’t go that deep into the doors and it doesn’t rattle or move. Also one one side I cut the gasket thinking that would help it seat into the 90* bend but it was unnecessary as the other side sat fine with some help from the window. Overall, it came out looking good and got rid of the wind noise from the pieces that were missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X