New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum

Hello all, im new to the forum, wel lhe goes my story, i picked up a 302 motor that ended up being a panther 302 out of a 90 G.M. and it''l be going into a 65 mustang that i have that had a rusted out 289. Never knew much
    about the panther 302 untill now and im still learning. I'll be looking to give it a little more sauce, so far got a 650 carb and long tube headers, would like to put some heads and a small cam, just need to see what specs would work with the flat top pistons. any help is much appreciated. Oh and looking for a crankshaft pulley if anyone's got one for sale. Thanks in advance

On a budget, it's hard to beat GT-40 heads from an 96-early 97 Explorer and a stock HO cam.

The Comp XE258 and XE264 are pretty decent grinds that work if you want a little more cam. E303 works too I think. Always check PTV clearance.

If you are considering aftermarket heads, I'd run a ~165cc runner and a 58-60cc chamber to boost compression a bit.

I have a 68 Mustang with a 302 from a Panther. I put a stock HO cam in it but left the junk heads. I am not happy with the performance. My stock 94 GT will run laps around this thing even though it weighs considerably more.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Id look into converting the front accessories to a single serpentine belt set up like similar vintage fox bodies had. Will make things fit a bit easier and finding under drive pulleys (if one desires) easier to locate/purchase as well.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 what's been said above.

Mind the firing order though. Panther engines use the old truck firing order instead of the 351 firing order.

90 crank pulley should be the same as pretty much any 302. So Mustangs, trucks, etc. There may be a little diameter difference here and there, but most should be about the same. The question is are you going to run two 6-rib or v belts. If you're planning to use the panther accessory setup, then 6-ribs are the way. If 80s/90s mustang setup, be sure to get the mustang water pump (turns the opposite way) and fan.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome, lots of guys here to help you. Where are you located? Someone may be close to you. I have a ton of stock 90 lower pulleys.
          Mine are from LoPo Crown Vics. WagonMan.
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            On a budget, it's hard to beat GT-40 heads from an 96-early 97 Explorer and a stock HO cam. The Comp XE258 and XE264 are pretty decent grinds that work if you want a little more cam. E303 works too I think. Always check PTV clearance. If you are considering aftermarket heads, I'd run a ~165cc runner and a 58-60cc chamber to boost compression a bit. I have a 68 Mustang with a 302 from a Panther. I put a stock HO cam in it but left the junk heads. I am not happy with the performance. My stock 94 GT will run laps around this thing even though it weighs considerably more.
            I would like a set of aluminum heads but more then likely will put some 3bar GT40s, I rear people use the HO cam aswell as the E cam. I’d be happy with a 250-275 wheel hp. Not to crazy just enough to not hold up the Toyota corollas on the freeway.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Welcome to the forum.
            Id look into converting the front accessories to a single serpentine belt set up like similar vintage fox bodies had. Will make things fit a bit easier and finding under drive pulleys (if one desires) easier to locate/purchase as well.
            I’m going to be using the serpentine set up that car with the motor, I got me one the them amazon mount anywhere mounts. I just don’t have the OEM crank pulley. I know it’s a dual grooved pulley. I would use a aftermarket CSP if I knew what the measurement on the OEM one is. I don’t want to buy one and find out its to short and wont line up with the WP & alt.

Originally posted by sly View Post
            +1 what's been said above. Mind the firing order though. Panther engines use the old truck firing order instead of the 351 firing order. 90 crank pulley should be the same as pretty much any 302. So Mustangs, trucks, etc. There may be a little diameter difference here and there, but most should be about the same. The question is are you going to run two 6-rib or v belts. If you're planning to use the panther accessory setup, then 6-ribs are the way. If 80s/90s mustang setup, be sure to get the mustang water pump (turns the opposite way) and fan.
            Going with the 6 rib. I was going to use the same WP and just mount the ALT on the driver side, I believe that should work when routing my belt. I have the ribbed WP pulley. As far as using a mustang one I would but not sure if it will line up.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
            Welcome, lots of guys here to help you. Where are you located? Someone may be close to you. I have a ton of stock 90 lower pulleys.
            Mine are from LoPo Crown Vics. WagonMan.
            Thanks, and im in border town south tx. I hit up a few junk yards but nada. Finding old 80-90s veh is getting harder and harder.

Comment

If the belt routing is over the water pump and down to the crank on the same side of the pulley, use the panther water pump. If the routing does an S around the water pump and crank pulley, use the mustang water pump. The impeller is different. The pulley mount point should be the same and should swap over fine. The truck water pump I think has a different bolt pattern (wider by a bit).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So im going to be using a mustang water up, the aftermarket pulley kit i bought, has the crank pulley to small and needing spacers. does anyone have a OEM crank pulley for sale??

Comment

As I said before "I have a ton of them". WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                    As I said before "I have a ton of them". WagonMan
                    Just sent u a DM

Comment

Working...
                    X