Digital Gear Indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Gear Indicator?

Has anyone ever added an aftermarket digital gear indicator “PRND12” etc.?

Never even seen one. Got a photo/link to a product?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I know Autometer has one.

Here is a link to Dakota Digital that also has them--> https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....cat/cat401.htm
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
        Never even seen one. Got a photo/link to a product?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	741EE812-888A-47E1-8F22-5C226F2B8F0D.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1290357

Comment

Cool! So about $300. Didn't get a chance to peruse the installation video so would need to see if it is worth the effort. Thanks for the photos/links!
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I looked at one of those, but after finding out all the stuff I would have to change/modify for that, I didn't feel like it. It needs a true gear position sensor and IIRC, the boxes don't have one. It's just a neutral safety switch that allows start in P and N and then a reverse light switch. You'd have to fabricate a position sensor for the column or the trans. I think Dakota sells a bolt on one but you would have to fab a bracket for that one that would probably have to be mounted by using the trans pad bolts which would require some finagling to get around the pan lip. And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. There may be newer/better position sensors to use with the display that would simplify life.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I looked at one of those, but after finding out all the stuff I would have to change/modify for that, I didn't feel like it. It needs a true gear position sensor and IIRC, the boxes don't have one. It's just a neutral safety switch that allows start in P and N and then a reverse light switch. You'd have to fabricate a position sensor for the column or the trans. I think Dakota sells a bolt on one but you would have to fab a bracket for that one that would probably have to be mounted by using the trans pad bolts which would require some finagling to get around the pan lip. And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. There may be newer/better position sensors to use with the display that would simplify life.
              Remember im swapping 05 under 84 and using 05 gauges. I can probably get the needle style to function but just looking at these. Would give a little more clearance if the box housing the needle could be removed. It will ultimately be an is the juice worth the squeeze scenario

Comment

Yeah... I was contemplating that with a stock 88 MGM dash. Definitely not worth the squeeze for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X