Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hood Strut - Lift Support Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Strut - Lift Support Recommendations?

The hood struts on the 03 must go to their final resting place.

I know there have been several mentions of replacement struts but I think they were kind of scattered in miscellaneous threads.

So before I buy does anyone have any positive or negative recommendations?

Thanks
    Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 06-19-2022, 04:30 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

My friend needed them for his '96 CV and we sourced them from Amazon. Since they are all made in China, the decisions process is real easy. In any event, they are still "holding up" (sorry for the pun) and it is over 4 years later!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I went with the Stabilus brand on my 00 GP for the trunk and also on the hood struts. That's what came on it OEM and they lasted the longest. Also on some Fords as well. I sourced mine from OReilly's but other stores may sell them as well. Never had an issue with these.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

The original loft supports on the Mark VI were fine when I bought it but they wouldn’t hold the hood up in cool weather. I got the Stabilus lift supports from O’Reilly’s. They’re just now coming up on a year old but they’re strong enough they almost open the hood themselves and my Mark VI has a steel hood. They also have a lifetime warranty.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I've got Stabilus struts on my '88. Put them on about five years ago, they're toast now.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've had good luck with StrongArm lift struts. I've got them on most everything I have now. I've replaced things once with those (except the Mark VI that I sold to sxcpotatoes - that one required more due to the sheer heft of that trunk lid). Some are brandy new as of this year (rear of the Expedition - hood struts are about 5 years old - replaced right after I bought it) but the ones on the 93 have been there for over a decade now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, sly. I'll look into them for replacements for my Townie.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

As Popeye once said, "Ya puts up your money and ya takes your chances!" Not even sure any are still made in the USA so they are probably made in the same factory (China) and sold under different names. You "may" get some sort of idea, say like on Amazon reviews (with a grain of salt) and hope you gets years of service. They are quick to replace so merely see what happens.
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Of the many sets I've tried on the Towncar, the only ones that worked are the Stabilus ones. Made the mistake of going with steel hood models since the last 2 sets of steel hood ones would barely hold the aluminum hood. Its actually hard to shut now.

they are made in Turkey if you're curious. Branding on the package is Tuff Support. A product of Inseco, INC NY NY.

something I did discover about the install on the Towncar, they are actually upside-down. The rod should be aimed downward, not upward like they are from the factory. The oil needs to get on the seal or it leaks.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mounted upside down... Interesting. Might have to try that. Due to the cold weather here, hood struts do not last long for me. I have tried a variety of brands.

Comment

Wound up ordering a set of the Stabilus as it was the cheapest, of Stabilus, Strong Arm & Tuff Support with shipping to me on Rock Auto which seems to have very good prices on these items.

Also It is nice to use the closeout search feature by vehicle. Ordered some Valve cover gaskets & Oil filter for the Mercedes and an OEM Marauder air filter cheap. Plus I just couldn't resist a top line Standard Brand BOO switch for the Marauder for $4 even though I don't need one.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

There are a lot of things on my shelf that were purchased purely because they were very cheap. I have an OEM NOS temperature switch for the Continental that I bought for like 3 bucks. I don't even know which of the three it is but I have one.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just got these in.

A pleasant surprise at the top of the picture!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_170416[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1290394
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Well I recommissioned the Marauder today. Changed the struts when I got home. To my pleasant surprise they are identical to the original units with the exception of motorcraft printing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220704_200527.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1290432Click image for larger version

Name:	20220704_200617.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1290433Click image for larger version

Name:	20220704_201022.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1290434
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Yep, and now there is no more hood wanting to eat your head/hands
                              These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Working...
                              X