Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'87 Colony Park, stutters, bucks, and stalls. Help Pls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update-I checked spark on all cylinders, was okay there. I checked fuel pressure while driving. Hung around 30 PSI. Sometimes up to 39 or so, but usually around 29-30.
    Have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter (both done by my mechanic) also fuel regulator. That pressure seems way low. But what could be impeding flow if I already had all that crap replaced? Maybe something is bad, but that seems like a low percentage chance
    1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

fuel pressure is correct. Should be ~30 at idle (full vacuum) and ~40 at WOT (no vacuum).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, perfectly fine, allowing for gauge error and regulator tolerances.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does that thing have a map?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

sensor, yes. firewall, above and behind the passenger side valve cover usually.

I have had one go bad, and the engine ran extremely rich. Oddly it ran normally when unplugged. My best guess is the diaphragm inside broke and for whatever reason the position stuff sits in with vacuum and working is approximately the same position it sits in with no vacuum and broken.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It would be typical for the engine to run worse when this in unplugged so I suggest trying that.

IIRC it could be a vacuum leak, bad harness or bad sensor.

On another concern, the car does not pop back into the intake?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yeah... if the hose to the MAP sensor is crap, replace it. That could be the entire issue. If disconnecting the MAP does nothing or it runs better, the MAP sensor is toast.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  sensor, yes. firewall, above and behind the passenger side valve cover usually.

I have had one go bad, and the engine ran extremely rich. Oddly it ran normally when unplugged. My best guess is the diaphragm inside broke and for whatever reason the position stuff sits in with vacuum and working is approximately the same position it sits in with no vacuum and broken.
                  Okay, will check that out. I thought mechanic changed the MAP. But that's the downside of doing some with mechanic, some by yourself. You don't always know for sure.

Thank you for the advice!
                  1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

One final thought on fuel pressure though, the issue is, even at WOT its still around 30. Shouldn't it be close to 40?
                    1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

After simple check of Map,

Does it backfire through the intake?

Check the throttle base setting.
                      Check firing order is NOT HO.
                      Make sure ECM is NOT HO.
                      Are you 100% sure the engine is not an HO? Could it have been changed in the past?
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

No, I have no idea if it's HO or not. Model is 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park LS. The WINis 2MEBM79FXHX656764. Most of this is obvious, but not sure what you want to see to know if it's HO. Here's what the specs say on a VIN check:

Displacement(CI): 302
                        Other Engine Info: Cental Fuel Injection
                        Displacment (L): 5.0
                        Engine Power (kW): 111.8550
                        Engine Configuration: V-Shaped
                        Engine Number of Cylinders: 8
                        Engine Brake (hp) From: 150
                        Displacement (CC): 4948.893328
                        Engine Brake (hp) To: 160
                        NCSA Model: Marquis/Monterey (car version; for van version 2004 on see code 444)/Grand Marquis
                        1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

Ho (high Output) Motors, available in mustangs and Lincoln mark VII are very similar same size engines that are sometimes swapped into panthers. They have different internals and heads. perhaps most significantly here the camshaft requires a different firing order. And a different engine program in the ecm. So there are two 5.0 liter ford motors in the same years with two different firing orders and ECMs. I have seen people use the wrong order when installing new wires. Just something to check. If it is the original engine it requires the Non-HO firing order.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

If the fuel pressure jumps from 30 to 40 when the vac line is removed, the reg is fine. At WOT it may not actually show an increase at peak fuel demand, depends on how healthy the rest of the system is. Either way that won't be why it idles badly.

Comment

You know, now that you mention it, the mechanic said he changed the firing order. He may have mistakenly changed it to HO, assuming it was same as foxbody 5.0 mustang. So today I'm going to check the following:
                              1) MAP and MAP line - disconnect and see if if run different.
                              2) Review firing order through dizzy into cylinder, make sure it's set for NOT HO

Hey, GrandMarq gang, thanks again for all the info on my beast! This is exactly why I buy project cars, to try new stuff (to me) and learn!
                              1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

I don’t know what u mean by pop back in the intake manifold. Do u mean are both end connected? Sorry for dumb question
                                1987 MGM Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X