Shifter Interlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Interlock

I’ve had a slightly weird issue with my 09 P71. When I first get into the car in the morning, the shifter interlock takes a while to power up. It can take anywhere from 10-20 seconds. After that, it’s fine for the rest of the day. Maybe it’s getting sticky?

I guess while I have this thread open, the wiper motor doesn’t work unless I give the cowl a whack. I haven’t opened it up yet but could it just be a loose connection or is the motor getting tired? I have a new one sitting in the trunk ready to go in anyway I was just curious. Also if the washer pump circuit goes through the wiper motor. Neither work when the motor doesn’t work.

Definitely worth checking the connector on the wiper motor. Also, check the ground wire attachment points on that side of the car (bolted to the fender types). May also need to make sure the wiper bolts are tight. I can't remember if that thing grounds through the casing or not.

No clue about the shifter interlock other than your own theory. I say a shot of WD-40 might do some good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks I’ll be messing with it later. The motor is definitely going to be replaced anyway. I didn’t notice any ground out of place or any wiring really so I think it’s the motor.

I’ll probably try some wd40 when I pull the shroud off. If anything it’s a minor annoyance really.

Comment

Contact cleaner/maf cleaner. You don't want any wd40 in there as that will get gummy from oxidation and you'll be doing this again sooner rather than later. Good oppertunity to put the override hole to the test.

Comment

Good point. I'd still use the WD-40 to help break up any goo that's there and then cleaner to clean it all off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I didn’t get to screw with the shift interlock solenoid today but I did manage to get the wiper motor swapped out. What a pain in the ass! That was definitely the issue, it works flawlessly now. And I think I answered my own question. The washer motor works fine now so I guess it must go through the motor so if the motor doesn’t work neither does the washer pump.

Comment

Working...
            X