84 Colony Park: need 1 to 2" more ride height in the front!t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 Colony Park: need 1 to 2" more ride height in the front!t

Hi y'all, I went hog wild with the motor/turbo combo in my wagon and now it sits super low in the front. I already swapped on an aluminum bumper but I need like another 1 to 2 inches of ride height....any gurus know of a set of coil springs or other option to accomplish that?

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Are your stock springs old and worn out?
    Maybe pick some "heavy duty" stock springs off RA? Or cop springs...
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Husky and Lesjofors (in addition to Moog and Movotech) offer many options but you would need to check with them to see if they offer anything to give the height boost you are looking for.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

They are original but it is fairly low mileage on the chassis (130k or so). I know spring rate doesn't change with age but possibly they are sagging some too.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Maybe some 1 or 2" spring spacers would work?

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
            Maybe some 1 or 2" spring spacers would work?
            Yeah, I guess. But reinstalling stock size springs is already a total pain in the posterior, can't image it's any easier with a spacer.
            Since you've added considerable weight on the front, a heavier spring rate wouldn't do any harm atleast.

Comment

found the specs in the suspension sticky for the wagon springs:

Product Specs
              Part Number 8650
              Inside Diameter 4.039
              End Type 1 Square
              End Type 2 Tangential
              Bar Diameter 0.687
              Install Height 11.50
              Load in Pounds 1720.0
              Spring Rate 432.0
              Free Height 15.51
              Front Coil Springs

You could order some custom made just a little thicker for a stiffer spring (maybe 850-950) rate to get those extra few inches.

But yeah... some frame pocket spacers would probably work best since even with 2 inches, the springs would still be up inside the frame.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

try checking specs for stuff in the mid-late 90s. At one point I tried circa 2000 Grand Marquis springs on my Towncar and it raised the front end considerably. Physically anything up to 2002 will fit.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anyone ever try these these rubber donuts from Mr Gasket. I forgot about them...used once years ago on an old car and gave me an inch boost. Don't know of these are a good idea or not...
                  https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-128...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comment

Are you considering doing this the "proper" way? With the setup in your sig, I think I wouldn't want to add to the sketchiness.

Comment

Good point, not the best way to accomplish the goal.

Comment

Front late(r) model cop springs will raise the front. Moog 80090, 1998 crown vic police interceptor front springs.

Had a set on my MGM. Depending on what rear spring you have it may "over" lift it a bit. If I had to do-over I would cut one coil. But since you got added weight they may put it just right for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X