Gauge cluster illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge cluster illumination

I got an 85 GM and a PO wired the radio directly to the battery, and I'm in the process of properly wiring it back in. I also have no gauge illumination, and I was wondering if the gauge illumination ran through the radio wiring like on some cars?

No, but there is a connection from the dash lights to the radio. If someone shorted it you may have just blown the fuse. Should be the only 3 amp fuse in the box.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All fuses were good on the under dash block, got the cluster somewhat pulled out and the bulbs didn't appear burnt out, haven't tested for power because it started raining before I could get the speedo cable off to pull the cluster out completely

Comment

I just checked and none of the bulbs are burned out, I have the check engine and Amp lights but no gauge illumination, could the circuitry in the cluster be bad?

Comment

The power for illumination comes from the headlamp switch. This is a known failure point with the massive wire harness liking to melt in various ways. That could be the issue.

Should be the brown wire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            The power for illumination comes from the headlamp switch. This is a known failure point with the massive wire harness liking to melt in various ways. That could be the issue.

Should be the brown wire.
            +1. I would not only check the switch but also the connector as they tend to get "crusty". Examine the connector and the back of the wires going into it. A common theory is that Ford used thinner wires than they should have and this is a "burn out point".
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

The quick connects used get crusty and create resistive connections and then get hot and just get worse as the plastic harness degrades due to the heat. This is the reason for the relay mods that dump all the current through a relay instead of the switch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well I have headlight switched power at the pigtail that goes into the cluster.... Now what?

Comment

check traces on the cluster. Check for cracks and oxidation on the connector. May just need a good cleaning. May have a bad ground for the lights. Check both ends of the circuit. I think there's a couple of grounds coming out, but just follow the traces. They're pretty easy to follow. If you run across any cracks, defroster trace repair kit works (or conductive epoxy) pretty well if you're not real confident in soldering skills since the film will melt pretty easy.

Comment

+1, traces are easy to follow. Look for traces that have lifted away at the connector. If the cluster has been out previously, it's a possibility.

If you have a multimeter, check for continuity from the correct cluster connector pins to each light socket unless you find an obvious break like Sly described. If you need the pinout I can get it later if I remember, or someone else might have it already.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

What's the best way to fix lifted traces?

Comment

A question I would be interested in hearing suggestions on as well.
                        I used some glue but don't remember what I used. Super glue might react weird with the materials involved. If its a trace where the connector connects you will have to scratch any glue off that gets on the contact surface.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Found 4 traces lifted off the membrane and one is kinda torn up, are new membranes obsolete or is repair pretty easy?

Comment

Will a Cv cluster swap into a Merc or no?

Comment

cv/merc clusters are very different.

A little dab of rubber cement, contact cement (non aerosol... good luck with that), shoe glue, some other flexible adhesive should probably work just fine. As long as the trace is all there and not torn, you should be able to fix it pretty easily just by laying it flat and putting some stick-it-down goo between the trace and film backing. Just be sure the contact area stays clean on top.

Comment

Working...
                              X