No announcement yet.

Gauge cluster illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember going through this. I was so worried about the traces. Luckily for me it ended up being bulbs.
    I was wondering if copper tape or copper foil or even thin copper could be used to repair the traces?

Comment

double sided tape would also work to put the traces down, but not to keep them down. But if you don't plan on disconnecting that harness any time soon, it's a quick fix.
      Copper tape could be used, but the conductive epoxy will make a better bond. And you really don't need much at all. Little dab will do ya. The problem with copper tape or foil or thin copper is you still have to attach it somehow and the adhesive on the tape doesn't work well enough for current handling like that without using some kind of conductive adhesive or solder. Tape adhesive tends to give up with heat... rather quickly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Conductive epoxy would be sweet. Had no idea it even existed lol
        Just gotta apply it judiciously
        Last edited by massacre; 07-06-2022, 10:51 PM.

Comment

One of the traces has the end torn off where the plug goes in

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
            Will a Cv cluster swap into a Merc or no?

No it won't. I have gauge clusters if needed. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
              One of the traces has the end torn off where the plug goes in
              bah. Might get one from WagonMan then. Take time for shipping, but would save you a LOT of hassle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well I traced it out, and the torn one goes to the Amp light, I'm gonna put a voltage gauge on the car anyway so it shouldn't matter much right?

Comment

Your car battery just wont ever charge. I am not joking.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 you need that in the circuit to get the alternator to turn on.

Comment

It's crazy but it's true.

Comment

On the question about repairing traces: I couldn't believe I got this to work, but it did:

This is a trace on the illumination circuit that I burnt via short circuit while doing a bulb check with cluster removed from the car.

Lesson being, you can get solder to stick to it if you're careful. Too much heat will melt everything but a quick touch should work. That's a tiny piece of wire with insulation fully removed.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

+1 soldering can be done, but do not dwell once solder melts. You can always try again, but once you dwell too long, stuff burns.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                            On the question about repairing traces: I couldn't believe I got this to work, but it did:

This is a trace on the illumination circuit that I burnt via short circuit while doing a bulb check with cluster removed from the car.

Lesson being, you can get solder to stick to it if you're careful. Too much heat will melt everything but a quick touch should work. That's a tiny piece of wire with insulation fully removed.
                            Nice job! Wish i was that good at soldering lol

Comment

Multiple soldered spots....It works.....Definitely difficult though.
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-07-2022, 05:39 PM.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Found the problem, PO removed the illumination fuse because the circuit film crapped out and was popping the fuse

Comment

Working...
                                X