No announcement yet.

I’m stumped on no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn’t I need the motor running for a vac leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For a vacuum leak, yes. Are you hearing the hiss when you pressurize the system only? What about when it runs (if it stays running long enough to hear it)? Do you still hear it if you pull the vacuum line from the regulator?
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

It doesn’t run
        It won’t start
        Without pressure it can’t start

Comment

And yes only makes the hissing when the pump comes on

Comment

Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator. Hit your fuel prime jumper again to trigger the fuel pump and if you see any fuel coming out of the vacuum port, the FPR is bad. I suspect the hissing you're hearing is air in the line. If it doesn't clear up after 20-30 seconds, then you may have pinched fuel lines where they go under the car from the engine bay (usual location). If the fuel line looks squished anywhere, or a rubber section is damaged, it could be sucking itself down and causing issues. Might be a good idea just to set the jumper and inspect the lines. Might also be a good idea to keep a battery charger on the car while you do this if you have one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tried that and nothing coming out of it

If I do trip the jumper on and off for the pump it
              Sounds like the metal return line is shaking / tapping on the frame ? Too much pressure ?

Comment

Sounds like the FPR is fully bypassing and not restricting anything in that case. Might have two bad FPRs.

That's the only thing I can think of if the lines are not kinked anywhere along the entire run past the filter... or the new filter got clogged almost instantly with garbage from the tank.

So yeah... either the fuel tank is full of garbage that's getting sucked up and clogging the filter, or your FPR is bad, or there's some weird clog in the fuel rail between the filter and the engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

agree, sounds like the FPR is dinked and just dumping all the fuel back to the tank. If you get 46 psi at the supply up to the motor after the fuel filter, but with the rail and such not hooked up the pump is working and there isn't a leak on the high pressure side of things. The only reason you'd have 10 psi is either its all going back to the tank because of a dud regulator, or its all dumping full blast into the engine because all 8 injectors are stuck wide open which is really unlikely.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That’s what it sounds like
                    The fuel is rushing right through the rails. But if I take the FPR off
                    Either one and apply vacuum to them with a hand pump they hold pressure

I know the tank is clean since I cleaned it out and changed the filter a 2nd time today and had good pressure up to the spring lock connector on side of motor going up to rail.

So I guess I’m trying FPR again ?

Comment

Are you getting a good quality fuel regulator part or some cheap ass Chinese shit?
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

if you want a final confirmation, block the return line off and see what you get. If the pressure is high with the return closed off, its the regulator.

they're pretty simple devices really, its a diaphragm, a spring, and a needle and seat arrangement. If it doesn't leak out of the vacuum connection the diaphragm is fine. If it holds vacuum on the return side the needle isn't leaking. Only other variable is the spring is just wrong. I've honestly never replaced an OE one. The one I had fail was an adjustable aftermarket one that wouldn't hold stable pressure anymore. I dumped that for a genuine old Motorcraft one on a rail I had laying around and thats been on the car for years. The part itself is probably 35 years old.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok
                          Just blocked off the return line and have almost 40psi of pressure
                          So
                          Another bad regulator ?

Comment

Ok update
                            Put in another regulator
                            And once again no pressure , just the gas rushing Thru to the return line
                            [emoji2959]

Comment

And just connected a pressure gauge to
                              The spring lock connector before the fuel rail/ schrader valve and get 90psi
                              But connect
                              The rail and its 0 and sounds like it’s rushing fuel right back to the tank

Comment

any chance the O rings are missing on the regulator or something stuck down in the hole? I honestly have no explanation for this unless everyone has forgotten how to make a fuel pressure regulator. If I remember right the reg can't be installed backwards either, 2 ports, 3 screws, and there is only one orientation that actually lines everything up.

Comment

Working...
                                X