No announcement yet.

I’m stumped on no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope new regulator again with o ring and gasket present.
    I have the rails off and blew them out and made sure the lines were clear.
    And had the same 0 pressure with all 3 regulators I have installed . Yet i have pressure before the rails
    Freaking nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s the gauge at the spring lock connection showing 90 psi like it should

Comment

90 psi dead-headed is pretty good, pump is perfectly healthy if its doing that. If pinching off the return got you pressure at the rail test port, it just has to be looping straight through the rail and back down the return line, but be damned if I can explain why. The only part that connects the feed to the return is the regulator, and it just seems super unlikely to have 3 bad regs in a row.

I'd think if it was totally f'd you would be able to blow through the regulator with no effort.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm assuming that is an old photo. Remove the spout connector (the plug you remove when setting timing) and see what she does. It removes ecm control of the distributor if something is awry with it (pinched, broken wire etc).

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            90 psi dead-headed is pretty good, pump is perfectly healthy if its doing that. If pinching off the return got you pressure at the rail test port, it just has to be looping straight through the rail and back down the return line, but be damned if I can explain why. The only part that connects the feed to the return is the regulator, and it just seems super unlikely to have 3 bad regs in a row.

I'd think if it was totally f'd you would be able to blow through the regulator with no effort.
            That’s exactly what it’s doing I can feel the gas going by in the return line.
            But put the regulator in and 0
            I’ll try blowing through it

Comment

Anybody?

Comment

Is there any chance this somehow got plumbed backwards? e.g. supply is going into the return side of the rail? That might (?) explain why the regulator doesn't work and multiple regulators don't work. I'm not even sure what happens if you put pressure on the outlet side of it.

I feel like it would be impossible to get this backwards like that, but at this point we're pushing the limits of reality for what seems likely.

Your problem is absolutely that the fuel is not being held at the rail to become pressurized. I'm fairly sure the regulator is the only point that allows the fuel to bleed between the supply and return halves of the system.

It is possible that all the regulators are bad. When we implicate a "bad part" we usually think of it as defective or faulty. It's entirely possible they're working as designed, but just designed wrong, and every one will be trash until you get a different brand part made by a different company who didn't butcher their interpretation of the specs.

Brand and part number for the regulator you put in would be useful information, if for no reason other than to maybe avoid it.
                Last edited by kishy; 07-11-2022, 01:03 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Not even sure you can obtain an OEM regulator unless it is used and/or sitting on someone's shelf.
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Not plumbed backwards
                    Not possible since the spring lock connections are different sizes
                    Etc .

Regulator I bought was Standard Motor products PR15T (bought twice)

And the latest when it arrives is
                    Original Engine Management FPR1

Comment

I checked my notes and I put a Standard PR15T in my 91 in 2013. It worked fine, and as of the last time it ran (only runs infrequently to move around the driveway as it sits now), it still seems to.

What we can gather from this is:
                      • Standard has the right specs to make the part work properly
                      • At one time in the past, Standard was producing copies of this part that worked properly
                      • When Standard has successfully made a good copy of this part, that part lasts a decent amount of time

Doesn't solve your problem, but adds data. This would suggest your parts are defective rather than designed wrong.

My bet is on your new incoming one fixing the issue.

Current driver: Ranger
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

I hope so
                        I’ll know tomm

Comment

Well
                          The 3rd regulator was the charm
                          She’s back alive!!
                          Never thought it
                          Would be the hard for a fuel pump change.
                          But then I shouldn’t let her sit so long either [emoji2959]
                          Thanks to everyone for the help

Comment

Great news!! Hope that is a "permanent" fix. What was the make/part number used?
                            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
                            X