PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My '95 Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

I actually managed to achieve desirable results!

First time I tried modifying the MPH shift points. No effect on shifts. The seemingly insanely high shift points are actually correct. I initially though the 3rd gear went up to ~100mph, it's actually the second gear that goes so far...

Second time I reverted the shift point changes and only changed the WOT shift RPM thresholds, from 5344RPM to 5000RPM. That had the result I was looking for, it no longer jerks on WOT shift and goes straight into second gear.
    The shifts are still insanely hard, but that has a different cause. And I'll hopefully fix it aswell, not necessarily with software though.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

How does TunerPro connect & interface with the stock PCM? Seems like once you figure that out, you can rewrite what's there? That's neat, as I know for my older TBI equipped stuff I need to burn new PROM chips every time I want to change something.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I used a program called flashhack to load the tune file from the PCM. Changes to the tune file are done in Tunerpro. Modified tune file is then overwritten to the PCM with flashhack. No chips required, even though those "tune chips" are/were available for the LT1s.

Apparently this thing has an actual performace tune on it, not just some trans meddling. VE tables, spark advance and retard tables, MAF calibration almost everything is fiddled with.
    Fuckin' shiet... It complicates things.

Well, I ended up flashing a stock '95 Caprice tune to the PCM. Found it online, happened to be with the correct 2.56 gear ratio, doesn't hurt to try.
    The shifts got a wee bit smoother, I'd say it requires more fiddling to call it good. I'm a bit cautious on this since those hard shift can cause traction loss, especially during the winter...

Now, I'm not 100% sure, I need to do more testing, but it seems that the jerkiness is gone. During my test drive it did not jerk or did very little during uphills and light acceleration at 80-110 kmh.
    My guess is that the tune might have too aggressive spark tables at that RPM/load/TPS% -area, for E10 fuel atleast, I haven't tried putting premium in this and I won't either.
    So, no wonder the slip value wasn't showing anything if the trans wasn't slipping. It seems it was just misfires causing the jerkiness.
    I still want to adjust the line pressure to try and smooth out the shifts and adjust the TCC engage speed in 4th so it'd engage around 80kmh. With the stock tune it now engages at 88 kmh (55mph). 80kmh is a very common limit here.

Among other things, I fixed the passenger front window guides, removed the old speakers and a shitton of crappy speaker wiring. Why shorten wires when you can just stuff 2 meters of speaker wire between the door and moisture barrier? There were some cheapo 4" speakers and tweeters jammed in the stock speaker buckets. I installed new 4x6 (factory size) speakers in both front doors, cleaned up the wiring and installed new door panel clips.
    Drivers window mechanism probably hadn't seen grease since it was made in '95. Bone dry...

Also installed a cheap 18W led work light under the rear bumper, used the old fog light wiring so I didn't have to wire anything really. The light is purely for reversing, being able to see anything at all during the dark winter is pretty handy.
    Gonna figure out some aux high beams with a friend at some point, the lights on this car are absolute garbage. This two ton land whale isn't stopping too fast in the winter, so I'd like to see well atleast.
    Either 3x 9" round halogens or a 55cm 180W led bar from a friend. The big round lights would fit the car better, but are way more of a hassle to mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220920_113358.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	58448

Ordered a pair of the most powerful 9004 halogen bulbs off RA, aswell as some service items such as air and fuel filters.
    The car is going to the shop on monday. The oil filter is in a shitty spot for my tools so they're doing an oil change. Snagged a 5l can of Genuine GM 5W30 on sale, only the best for the Chev
    The oil pan is also causing the biggest oil leak, they'll tighten it a bit more if possible. They'll also check on the transmission mount and why the trans crossmember is wet, output seal is dry.

Loadsa stuff.

Cool, just blew a rear brake line.
    Add one more thing for the shop's to do list.

Better than blowing it after. Like you said...add it to the list.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Better than blowing it after. Like you said...add it to the list.
    Yup, happened to blow it less than 5 minutes from home. Futzing around a parking lot, late at night with some friends.
    Sucks to spend more money again, but I'm very glad the line blew now and in a somewhat controlled situation. Going on a 500+km cottage trip next weekend, would suck to blow a line 25km from the nearest paved road or way further from anything resembling a repair shop.

Blew two brake lines on my cv ages ago. Once while going onto the emissions machine (when that was still a thing) for inspection. The other in my driveway. Both happened in a very safe manner/area.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

had one pop in my old truck just around the corner from the house. Turned around and came straight back home. At no point had I gotten over 25, and it was only the back brakes so I could still stop. I lost a fuel pump in that truck in the driveway too. One morning it just wouldn't start. Things break, but its awful nice when they break with 'convenient' timing.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456