PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My '95 Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

The same hitch fits B-bodies all the way back to 1977. It fits D-bodies, too, but I don't know how far back.

There's an owner's manual reference to 7,000 lb trailers with tow package and a load leveling hitch, but I understand load levelers aren't legal in Europe. Fleetwoods with the 3.73 rear were rated @ 7,000 lbs, but nothing officially goes that high for the wagons.

The tow pack added gearing, extra coolers, and the mechanical fan. Your car already has the coolers. I think your car will be fine towing 4K if trailer brakes are used (I believe surge brakes are mandatory in EU and thus built into the trailer) and you take things easy going uphill.

I've towed ~3400-3500 pounds with my 93 vic. It gets a little sketchy in sweeping curves. My 03 Expedition weighs another 1500 pounds and the tow rating is 6050 pounds. Same load with that is no issue except accelerating since it's pretty much the same engine as what's in the 93 (2-valve 4.6L). The 93 will pull "harder" since it weighs 1500 pounds less, but the brakes are a LOT better on the Expedition and it will stop way faster with a trailer. This trailer also has no brakes. It's the back half of a pickup truck (81 F150). I wouldn't wanna town anything more than 3500 pounds behind one of these land yachts though they will pull 5K... the stopping isn't fun if the trailer brakes aren't there. Of course, it's also illegal to not have trailer brakes over 4K in Texas (3K in some other states that I know of). And since I can't find an electric brake kit for a Ford 9-inch rear axle, if I'm ever required to get trailer brakes for it, it'll probably be axle swap time (if not scrap time since it's a rust bucket).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    This trailer also has no brakes. It's the back half of a pickup truck (81 F150). I wouldn't wanna town anything more than 3500 pounds behind one of these land yachts though they will pull 5K... the stopping isn't fun if the trailer brakes aren't there. Of course, it's also illegal to not have trailer brakes over 4K in Texas (3K in some other states that I know of). And since I can't find an electric brake kit for a Ford 9-inch rear axle, if I'm ever required to get trailer brakes for it, it'll probably be axle swap time (if not scrap time since it's a rust bucket).
    If the F150 brakes are still there, you could convert them to surge brakes by changing the trailer coupler to one with a hydraulic actuator. If you shop carefully, new lines, new wheel cylinders, new shoes, and new spring hardware, plus the actuator, and you'll probably be into the project for less than the cost of a new axle with electric brakes.

https://www.pmstorese.com/titan-dico...brake-actuator

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwagon View Post
    If the F150 brakes are still there, you could convert them to surge brakes by changing the trailer coupler to one with a hydraulic actuator. If you shop carefully, new lines, new wheel cylinders, new shoes, and new spring hardware, plus the actuator, and you'll probably be into the project for less than the cost of a new axle with electric brakes.

https://www.pmstorese.com/titan-dico...brake-actuator
    Yeah... I've priced all of that. Swapping to a 3500# trailer axle with electric brakes would still save about a grand. The surge masters are really spendy. The electric over hydraulic is even worse.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I got the ALDL cable and the Scan9495 working. Took her for a spin with the live data on but I don't know jack shit of what I'm supposed to look at.
    Here's a screencap of the transmission tab:

Link so you can maybe see better: https://img.aijaa.com/b/00225/15078030.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Näyttökuva (3).jpg   15078030.jpg  
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234