No announcement yet.

My '95 Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehe... yeah... it's 40C+ where I'm at right now and the AC in the house is out. Hopefully replacing the dead capacitor will fix the issue. Sleep last night was rough. AC been out since Sunday. Even inside the house has been 32C and probably more today. I'll find out when I get home from work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some random thoughts:
      -Installed a new TPS, no change in trans behaviour.
      -The car leaks oil a bit, front cover seems more wet than moist, the Optispark hole and/or front main seal leaks. Valve covers seem fine, but I have new gaskets if need be.
      -Oil filter and around it is quite wet with oil, even a drop on the end of the filter can. I'd guess my driveway markings are coming from there. Dunno what else would be leaking there, oil filter base, cooler lines or the filter seal itself.
      -Hallelujah! The trans pan has a drain plug!
      -Atleast the intake, valve covers, damper and oil pan are painted in a clashing shade of blue, which leads me to believe the engine has been out of the car at some point, for a rebuild or not, I don't know.
      -Fixed a couple rattles, I've gotta re-engineer the spare tire / jack mounting.
      -Digidash sometimes dims a bit, the dash dimmer switch has something to do with it, but apparently these things also dim the dash when headlights are on. Which leads me to another point;
      -When the key is ON, the headlights are on, regardless of headlight switch position. They've been modified for Finnish legislation, but it's kind of a hack job. I might revert it like I did with the MGM's lights.
      -I've come to the conclusion that this thing is the king of coasting, it's unreal how well this thing just glides. I guess those 2+ tons help.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

If it has an oil cooler, do indeed check the lines. My truck has one, and the crimps for the lines were bad. Also has an adaptor for the oil filter so it'll clear the front driveshaft. That leaked pretty damn bad. Now it's just the front and rear main which seep oil & occasionally leave a drip. They were replaced two years ago, so not touching them again until the trans needs to be dropped.

They were engineered really well, probably amidst the pinnacle of GM engineering. How do you like the LT1? How does it compare to the LoPo 302? I've been looking at the Cadillac variant of what you've got for some years now. Can't decide if I want to go with the TBI one year only deal, or a 1996 OBDII LT1.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          They were engineered really well, probably amidst the pinnacle of GM engineering. How do you like the LT1? How does it compare to the LoPo 302? I've been looking at the Cadillac variant of what you've got for some years now. Can't decide if I want to go with the TBI one year only deal, or a 1996 OBDII LT1.
          LT1 very much nice Feels more like a modern V8 rather than any old pushrod stuff. Revhappy and revs high. Sound cool when I wring it out, doesn't sound like it's gasping for air like the LoPo. Can't really be compared to the LoPo. Feels pretty close to a 2V Modular, but with more torque and probably not quite as smooth. The 2.56 rear gears are great for highway cruising and mileage, but the boat isn't nearly as peppy.
          I've gotta get the damn 4L60e shifting nice before I can truly enjoy the LT1.

Having driven a B-body Caprice, Roadhamster and the Caddy, I'd get the Buick. It has more gizmos and looks a bit better than the Chevy (except the hideous wagon rear sunroof). The Caddy is way too floaty and boaty compared to the Chevy/Buick, looks super sharp though. Caddy interior is the same crappy plastic but looks even worse. Either way, I'd get a '96 if given the chance, OBD2 is so helpful.

I think I'll have to remove the rear mufflers, this thing is quieter than my MGM with it's stock exhaust. It's too quiet, last week I drove to work (highway at 70mph) in third gear, because I didn't notice it!

Comment

Oh I compare the LS to my small block all the time- they're way better, yet don't seem to have the right off idle grunt like my small block does. Now, that's a 2002 5.3 LS I'm talking about vs my 1995 LO5. I'm not sure what the internal differences are between the LT1 in your car vs the LT1 they put in 'Vettes, but the 'Vette version was good for 330HP in 1996 when mated to a manual gear box. That's nothing to laugh at, pretty damn good actually and more than enough to put a smile on my face.

"Roadhamster" Yeah, I wasn't sure between the Hamster and the Cadillac. For me, I love the floaty ride. If it's a luxury car, I want it to be as numb as possible in pretty much all regards. OBDII is nice. Although unlike Ford, GM EFI stuff does like you see data real time. Even in my 1989 K1500 I can see what the fuel trims are doing, O2 sensor cross counts, TPS voltage, crap like that. Ford OBDI was very slow to that party. I know you can view that kind of data with their F-Series trucks starting in 1992.

Comment

Oh I compare the LS to my small block all the time- they're way better, yet don't seem to have the right off idle grunt like my small block does. Now, that's a 2002 5.3 LS I'm talking about vs my 1995 LO5. I'm not sure what the internal differences are between the LT1 in your car vs the LT1 they put in 'Vettes, but the 'Vette version was good for 330HP in 1996 when mated to a manual gear box. That's nothing to laugh at, pretty damn good actually and more than enough to put a smile on my face.

"Roadhamster" Yeah, I wasn't sure between the Hamster and the Cadillac. For me, I love the floaty ride. If it's a luxury car, I want it to be as numb as possible in pretty much all regards. OBDII is nice. Although unlike Ford, GM EFI stuff does like you see data real time. Even in my 1989 K1500 I can see what the fuel trims are doing, O2 sensor cross counts, TPS voltage, crap like that. Ford OBDI was very slow to that party. I know you can view that kind of data with their F-Series trucks starting in 1992.
              I know the Vettes had aluminium heads vs. iron in B-bodies. Probably cam and tuning differences aswell, consider a Vette is much lighter than a B-body boat. Isn't the 330hp for the LT4 Vette? 300hp for the normal LT1 Vette IIRC.
              If my car had a different rear ratio, it'd probably feel pretty fast. As it is, it's has great overtaking power, but off the line it's nothing to write home about.

Once I get my ALDL-USB cable and the proper software, I should be able to see live data and such.
              After I get the TCC valve done, I'll check what the 1-2 accumulator hides. If it's still shifting hard after those, I'll get someone to flash a factory trans tune or soften up the shifts with tuning otherwise.

Comment

Its always the crimps in those oil cooler lines. Every GM truck from the 90s has the same issue.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it probably was the LT4. Still an LT based block with Optifail though, right? I dunno. Also, didn't they make changes to the Optifail for '95 such that they don't fail all too often? LT engines get a bad rap for that, but I don't think they're that terrible once it's addressed.

Comment

Yeah, it probably was the LT4. Still an LT based block with Optifail though, right? I dunno. Also, didn't they make changes to the Optifail for '95 such that they don't fail all too often? LT engines get a bad rap for that, but I don't think they're that terrible once it's addressed.
                    From my reading, it's only the earlier LTs with the Opti problems, newer ones have actively cooler Optispark and some stuff about being better sealed against dirt and moisture. Doesn't mean the new ones are perfect, but not-as-crap. I've also read about the LTCC individual coil conversion, I might go that way if the Opti fails spectacularly. Dunno if I'll even have the car long enough lol. I know mine had had the whole Optispark system replaced in 2013, also the plug wires were done last year, so I won't have to manage that nightmare either. Plugs I'll change just because and from the previous owners' recommendation.

Comment

Now I have such a thing as self-canceling turn signals, sooooo fancyyyy!
                      Like 5 euros for the springs and a couple hours of cursing at the various steering column components and it's done. No airbag light or broken plastic anywhere. The "leather" on the driver's airbag is peeling from the corner, which is major eyesore for me...

Comment

What kind of hitch is on the back? I saw that style on a lot of cars when I was in Ireland.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                          What kind of hitch is on the back? I saw that style on a lot of cars when I was in Ireland.
                          What's up with peeps being so interested in a hitch?? Kishy and now you too lol. Looks like a normal hitch to me, euro-stuff I guess if it's so interesting. I'll take a look once it's stopped raining.
                          Max towing numbers are specified by the manufacturer of the car (and hitch), 455kg without trailer brakes / 2270kg with trailer brakes, but EU regulates how much can be towed with what licences and so on. I'll have to check what's the hitch's tow rating.

Comment

Hitch looks to be a "Monoflex" unit, class A50-X, which is some european classification. Seems to be a pretty solid unit, even though the 1800kg hitch rating falls quite short of the manufacturers 2270kg rating. Class A50-X seems to be up to 2300kg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220717_183703.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1290477 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220717_183723.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1290478 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220717_183735.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1290479

Also happened to come across the RPO code sheet and proceeded to decode it all, here's the highlights:
                            -Canada export model
                            -High output 5,7 MFI V8 (also includes dual exhaust)
                            -Adriatic blue metallic / gunmetal metallic custom two-tone paint
                            -Adriatic blue, deluxe interior package
                            -Load leveling rear suspension, long gone by now, it's got adjustable air shocks though.
                            -Daytime running lights (export model), now this is probably why the headlights are always on with the key on, regardless of headlight switch position
                            -Cold climate package (block heater is probably factory then...)
                            -Heavy duty suspension
                            -Heavy duty brakes disc front/drum rear
                            -Heavy duty transmission cooling
                            -Hi-performance all season tires, 235/75R15
                            -Upgraded 140 AMP alternator
                            -Dual A-note horn

It's got a cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks... Goddamnit!

Comment

After surviving the weekend, I had some time to tinker on the Cheva again. Replaced one of the rear glass gas struts since it had a defroster connector broken off. New strut was like 8€ off RA, now I gotta hope the rear defrost actually works.
                              Also tried to install a phone mount and reset the change oil light. Failed utterly at both, oil light reset procedure didn't do jack shit and the "stick anywhere"-phone mount wouldn't even hold the mount itself on the dash.
                              My summer job contract ends in 3 weeks, I'll wait until then to pull the trans pan and go diving into the black magic of an autobox.

Latest tank of gas (90% commuting) was 718,3km and 71,8 liters, pretty much dead on 10l/100km. The previous tank was 630km and 63 liters, exactly 10l/100km. That's 23,5 in bald eagle units.
                              Eh, not meh or weh, just eh.

Comment

That sounds pretty good to me. I think the best we ever got with our Roadmaster was around 20, and that was all highway. Different axle ratio though, I'm sure.
                                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Working...
                                X