PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Any boxes come with manual seats?

Default Any boxes come with manual seats?

Hi all,

Looking for manual sliders for my 84 Wagon split bench...did the box panthers ever come without power seats? If so, anyone have a set they want to sell? Need some extra headroom....thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Both my 88 and 90 have manual seats on both sides.

They are out there! Maybe someone has a set
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Sure, I've even driven a solid bench manual seat wagon.

Not sure the manual ones sit lower though, the power seat track can be wound down to the floor a fair bit.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

My 79 LTD S wagon had a manual bench seat. One of the 82 MGM had manual seats. My 90 CV police car had manual split bench. I added the power to the driver side. The manual seat does sit a little lower as they were hard on my back. You might try putting the power seat to it lowest level. The effort to change to manual I don't think is worth the difference.

Ok, I can start looking at my local yards. The boxes are getting really hard to come by nowadays! I'll post up on here looking to buy. When you guys talk about lowering the seat all the way - is there something I can do manually other than just pressing the power knob down to get the seat closer to the floor? I'm a big guy (6'5" 290) and I need all the space I can get with a helmet on for the track. Really gotta keep the stock seats too!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Not sure if Aero seat tracks are the same, but when my electric drivers seat shit the bed, i replaced it with a manual seat track (pass side was already manual. Got it cheap from junkyard

floor pans and seat tracks changed in 90. So you'll need to find 79-89 boxes for direct fit options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    floor pans and seat tracks changed in 90. So you'll need to find 79-89 boxes for direct fit options.
    Thanks for the info.

There is a way to use the newer tracks... but it requires some "out of the box" thinking.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

its been a while since I had eyes on the seat tracks, but its possible you could do some cutting and re-welding to move the seats downward further.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My '85 has manual seats. It's a farmer-spec car with few options.

But if it's headroom you're looking for, I doubt you'd get it with manual seats. I'm 6'2" and I have only an inch to spare. I actually bought a power seat track at a junkyard several years ago in the hopes of being able to adjust the back of the seat downward a bit - with manual seats, thigh support is lacking after a couple hours of driving. (Haven't installed it yet - it's one of those low-priority projects that ends up on the back burner indefinitely.)
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

+1 I think power seats can actually get lower than manual seats. This is the case in my wife's 2000 CV. The passenger seat is manual and the driver seat can get about 3/4 of an inch lower.

If the manual vs electric seat tracks don't get you there, what about swapping in some lower trim seats if you have the "plushier" ones? I'm not sure how much extra head room it will give you but for example, the seats that were in my CV (now in David's car) I feel like had less height than the "poofier" seats in my GM.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm going off memory here.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Power definately gets lower than the manual seat. Friend of mine had an 87 with manual seats vs my 89 with power.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    If the manual vs electric seat tracks don't get you there, what about swapping in some lower trim seats if you have the "plushier" ones? I'm not sure how much extra head room it will give you but for example, the seats that were in my CV (now in David's car) I feel like had less height than the "poofier" seats in my GM.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm going off memory here.
    Recently discussed in Arquemann's Maisa RR thread, some styles of box panther seats do sit you lower. Not sure how much lower but maybe an inch, can't be much more than that.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by drhill View Post
    When you guys talk about lowering the seat all the way - is there something I can do manually other than just pressing the power knob down to get the seat closer to the floor? I'm a big guy (6'5" 290) and I need all the space I can get with a helmet on for the track. Really gotta keep the stock seats too!
    Can you modify the stock seats by using less foam and droopier springs? What about a Gurney bubble on the roof? Bolting the seats to non-adjustable brackets instead of tracks?

If you remove the adjustment rails altogether and make a flat bracket to bolt the seat down in your preferred location, you could make the car fit you alone and drop the seat about 3 inches.

had a 86 vic wagon. with a manual full bench.
    had a 84 vic cop car with manual split bench, seat got broken by a large friend so replaced with power ds manual ps split bench.
    some crown vic police and fleet cars came with manual buckets. same seats used in some fox chassis cars.
    have seen a 91 grand marquis with manual split bench seats.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    If you remove the adjustment rails altogether and make a flat bracket to bolt the seat down in your preferred location, you could make the car fit you alone and drop the seat about 3 inches.
    This may be the route I have to go. If the manual track isn't worth it (sound like it's not), my next step is cutting the foam down in the seat - it is a leather seat car and the seats are plushy.

I got my wife into drag racing with this car and she's only 5'3" so I'd like to keep the power seat so she can still drive and race it. I've done the "race seat" route in the past and I hate 'em...hard to get in and out of and they look dumb in a sleeper street car.