Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any boxes come with manual seats?

Hi all,

Looking for manual sliders for my 84 Wagon split bench...did the box panthers ever come without power seats? If so, anyone have a set they want to sell? Need some extra headroom....thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Both my 88 and 90 have manual seats on both sides.

They are out there! Maybe someone has a set
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sure, I've even driven a solid bench manual seat wagon.

Not sure the manual ones sit lower though, the power seat track can be wound down to the floor a fair bit.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 79 LTD S wagon had a manual bench seat. One of the 82 MGM had manual seats. My 90 CV police car had manual split bench. I added the power to the driver side. The manual seat does sit a little lower as they were hard on my back. You might try putting the power seat to it lowest level. The effort to change to manual I don't think is worth the difference.

Comment

Ok, I can start looking at my local yards. The boxes are getting really hard to come by nowadays! I'll post up on here looking to buy. When you guys talk about lowering the seat all the way - is there something I can do manually other than just pressing the power knob down to get the seat closer to the floor? I'm a big guy (6'5" 290) and I need all the space I can get with a helmet on for the track. Really gotta keep the stock seats too!
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Not sure if Aero seat tracks are the same, but when my electric drivers seat shit the bed, i replaced it with a manual seat track (pass side was already manual. Got it cheap from junkyard

Comment

floor pans and seat tracks changed in 90. So you'll need to find 79-89 boxes for direct fit options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                floor pans and seat tracks changed in 90. So you'll need to find 79-89 boxes for direct fit options.
                Thanks for the info.

Comment

There is a way to use the newer tracks... but it requires some "out of the box" thinking.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

its been a while since I had eyes on the seat tracks, but its possible you could do some cutting and re-welding to move the seats downward further.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '85 has manual seats. It's a farmer-spec car with few options.

But if it's headroom you're looking for, I doubt you'd get it with manual seats. I'm 6'2" and I have only an inch to spare. I actually bought a power seat track at a junkyard several years ago in the hopes of being able to adjust the back of the seat downward a bit - with manual seats, thigh support is lacking after a couple hours of driving. (Haven't installed it yet - it's one of those low-priority projects that ends up on the back burner indefinitely.)
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                      1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                      1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

+1 I think power seats can actually get lower than manual seats. This is the case in my wife's 2000 CV. The passenger seat is manual and the driver seat can get about 3/4 of an inch lower.

Comment

If the manual vs electric seat tracks don't get you there, what about swapping in some lower trim seats if you have the "plushier" ones? I'm not sure how much extra head room it will give you but for example, the seats that were in my CV (now in David's car) I feel like had less height than the "poofier" seats in my GM.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm going off memory here.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Power definately gets lower than the manual seat. Friend of mine had an 87 with manual seats vs my 89 with power.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                              If the manual vs electric seat tracks don't get you there, what about swapping in some lower trim seats if you have the "plushier" ones? I'm not sure how much extra head room it will give you but for example, the seats that were in my CV (now in David's car) I feel like had less height than the "poofier" seats in my GM.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm going off memory here.
                              Recently discussed in Arquemann's Maisa RR thread, some styles of box panther seats do sit you lower. Not sure how much lower but maybe an inch, can't be much more than that.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X