• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Police cluster install

Group
    Before my fuel pump issues this past month
    I remember before parking the wagon
    2 years ago I swapped in the Police cluster, and everything works
    Except the fuel gauge and the low fuel light is on, and I put 10 gallons of fuel in per the shop manual to check for leaks after the pump swap, so I know I’m not low??
    Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be sending unit, cluster issue or connector at the tank or wiring anywhere along the line. Tracing it all down takes patience. If the fuel gauge didn't work before you installed the new fuel pump you could still have a sender issue. Are you sure the cluster is good? Did it ever read correctly after you installed it? Have to use logic and test one issue at a time and again, patience is key!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Based on the fact that you've dropped the tank to do the pump, it's possible you didn't get the wiring connected back to the sender making a good connection. This is on the front side of the tank, so you can get to it without dropping the tank again. This is your quick and easy thing to check.

If the wiring is connected, wiggle it. If that doesn't fix it, my next most likely guess is that the float has sank, which is a fairly common failure. New ones are sold lots of places in both the original brass material as well as newer plastic ones. You may have issues locating the part by vehicle, but it's a common part used by many vehicles...if you said something like a Jeep CJ6, that would be the right part.

If you believe the fuel level is quite low (e.g. below about half), you could remove the sending unit from the front of the tank and test by manually moving the float arm, and then observing if the fuel gauge moved. If the fuel gauge does not respond to this, or seems spotty/intermittent, the sending unit itself (regardless of the floatiness of the float) is the issue. With the fuel tank open, you must be very careful about sparks and flame, obviously.

Because the low fuel light is on, I do not believe your problem is the gauge, nor do I believe it is the low fuel/anti-slosh module. I believe the fact that the light is on is proving that the gauge is accurately reflecting the resistance value of the sending unit.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
      X