Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxes

Didn't know which sub to post this under, but are boxes considered classic cars nowadays?

Is this a personal question or one for a State DMV? Most states consider 30-35 years for classic car determination.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Is this a personal question or one for a State DMV? Most states consider 30-35 years for classic car determination.
      Kinda both I guess

Comment

Although my 85 is beat up, I'm hoping to take it to car shows/ cruise nights

My 91 is a work in progress

Comment

In Connecticut cars have to be 25 years or older to get classic car plates. Haggerty insurance considers our cars to be classic/collectible
          cars. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

depends who you are talking to.
            Some organizations "decide" what is a classic car. They are cars we as mortal humans will probably never be able to touch or even breath on. They also define "minor Classics" which are still very special cars.

Most folks who run car shows say 25 yrs old and you are in. Historical plates do vary by state. NYS it is 25yrs but IIRC last time I looked they were very restrictive.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'd say yes they are classic at this point. Heck the oldest ones hit the road in Fall 1978 I assume... so they are approaching 44 years old.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

25+ years in New Jersey for historic plates.

Its a classic or its modern junk depending who you ask. The grumpy old bastards that have the usual suspect cars that sit in folding chairs looking miserable at car shows will call it modern junk. People under 40 will probably consider it a classic because its what their parents or grandparents had. All a matter of perspective.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

By the 25 year rule, even Aeros are classics now. I think that for a car to fall into that category it has to be around long enough for all the beater examples to fade away until it's a rare sight on the road. It also helps that new car design advances far enough that a classic looks out of place by comparison. In my mind, most '90s cars still have some resemblance to newer vehicles. Plus, you'll still see a few beat up Camrys and Civics out and about. Boxes, by contrast, are pretty rare these days, and their styling is so foreign that a lot of people mistake them for something from the '70s.
                  1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

My 93 is a "classic" and I could get the associated plates, but it's also my daily and they frown on that kind of use with classic/antique plates. 25 years or more in Texas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      My 93 is a "classic" and I could get the associated plates, but it's also my daily and they frown on that kind of use with classic/antique plates. 25 years or more in Texas.
                      I was just looking into this as we're about to move to San Antonio. I thought the antique plates were more like every other state's classic plates with restrictions on where and how often you can drive. Whereas Texas classic plates were just another custom plate, or you had the option of using an old plate from the same year as your car, but the vehicle still paid the same registration and inspection fees as ever other vehicle.
                      1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

in Maine 25 years is the point where the vehicle qualifies as a classic/antique. I just put antique plates on the 96 CVPI. To register as such, the antique cannot be the primary use vehicle.

Comment

honestly I have mine on historic plates for money reasons. $42 one-time fee and every two years its a $0 renewal. Standard plates on the Towncar are $78 per year, the other two are $42 each per year.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Same here in MA. I have several vehicles that qualify but the mileage is supposed to stay very low. I guess i could do it for a year until they take it away hahaha

Comment

25 years in Michigan. My '98 will be considered a classic next year. Will be the first time every vehicle I own will be a classic. Although not the first time every vehicle I have on the road is a classic.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X