Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting

In my 85 GM, you have to give it some gas every time you start it, even if I shut it off and right back on and stalls occasionally. Once you give it a little throttle it'll fire right up though

Check/replace TPS maybe? On cold starts, does the "choke" engage? How does it run otherwise?
    You should check fault codes if it'll tell you anything.

My '85 MGM always needed some throttle to start, or have the choke high idle cam engaged. But my CFI was pretty screwed anyways.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Runs great otherwise. Just needs gas on starting and occasional stalling, usually when coming to a stop

Comment

Well it seems like the high idle was set low, so I adjusted it higher and now it takes about 3 cranks without touching the gas pedal

Comment

That's just how they are, my '85 was the same way. However, play with the idle and verify your throttle position sensor is OK. As Arquemann pointed out, make sure the choke-pull off mechanism works & engages the throttle when you stab the go pedal. That's actually required for starting per owner's manual. When hot, my '85 wouldn't start unless the throttle was cracked somewhat.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
          X