Normal for A/C Hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal for A/C Hoses?

Putting new o-rings in the 90 A/C system.

System is clean inside but has what looks like corrosion of the metal where the o-rings touch. See pic for a better idea of what I am trying to say.

This was a virgin R12 system with mineral oil, original hoses.

Just wondering if this is normal.

It's holding a steady vacuum for two days so far, so it may not be a problem even if it's not normal. Drier will get replaced anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

No, that's not normal. Those surfaces should look like the cleaner spots all the way. that first one looks like it can be cleaned up, but the second one looks like proper corrosion damage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

might have gotten something trapped between the O ring and the contact surface, or maybe it was the O ring itself breaking down. Might be able to polish that up with a bit of Scotchbrite though, it doesn't look too terrible.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will try to clean it a little more.

New accumulator is due in tomorrow, so that will fix one of them.

Of course new hoses would fix the majority of this but I'm going to give it a shot on the original hoses. Running a hydrocarbon refrigerant, so I may not need the barrier hoses.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          I will try to clean it a little more.

New accumulator is due in tomorrow, so that will fix one of them.

Of course new hoses would fix the majority of this but I'm going to give it a shot on the original hoses. Running a hydrocarbon refrigerant, so I may not need the barrier hoses.
          Please keep track of how much hydrocarbon refrigerant (presumably what we on this side of the border refer to as "12A", an isobutane and propane mix) you use, as that is what I'm planning to do on my various junk when I finally get around to it.

I thought that stuff was harder to come by on your side of the border, but maybe that's just because of how readily available 134A is to normal people. Need fancy licensing to buy the stuff up here.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

the mix is R441A. Just propane is R290. Just butane is R600.

Handy table to keep all that mess straight on this side of the fence. https://www.epa.gov/snap/composition...igerant-blends

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Accumulator is here.

Haven't installed it yet because I seem to have lost some vacuum per the gauge. I will clean those o-ring connections the best I can and see if that helps. If not, I may be investing in some hoses, if not more.

This is the refrigerant I have on hand: https://www.es-refrigerants.com/prod...a-replacement/
              I'm not sure what exactly it is, but 441A is likely or something close to it.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yeah... documentation tab has the SDS and it said liquefied petroleum gases. (Section 3 - COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS).

And Pine scent.

Comment

maybe toss some leak dye in the mix when you charge it, just in case it leaks. May as well make the leak point easier to ID.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X