What Am I looking At?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look under the hood on the core support or on the driver side at the cowl
    There may be the special order data plate with numbers/ letters.
    It may have be a “state” owned car. Some states tried those natural gas/propane cars.

Comment

What am I looking at

Look under the hood on the core support or on the driver side at the cowl
      There may be the special order data plate with numbers/ letters.
      It may have be a “state” owned car. Some states tried those natural gas/propane cars.

Comment

My Canadian 87 CV has those. 351W.
        Is it for the VV? I always didn't want to mess with it. The VV carb is off and I have a rare Holley model 2300 1-684 carb that hooks up to the AOD, so wonder if I need that mess.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

I actually would like a set of those switches. The original AC control switches on my Continental were that style, and I have no idea where to get replacements or even what the part numbers are. One was a vacuum switch that kept the AC compressor turned off when the engine wasn't running, the other is the boost cut-out switch that operated as a WOT cut-out switch. I faked in a generic vacuum switch to make that part work, have not been able to get a pressure switch that has a narrow enough on/off range to function. Don't care so much about that honestly, but I wouldn't mind having a proper looking vacuum switch to put back in the original bracket instead of the thing I have cobbled in there now.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh wow, factory huh? Jeesus, looks like something you buy at a parts store to help "fix" a vacuum problem you've been having.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This style switch came out in the 70s, but they were mostly gone by the EFI era. They are adjustable too, dig the RTV out from the end and you will find a screw underneath that can be adjusted to change what level of vacuum trips them. The ones on the Conti failed electrically, probably corrosion on the contact points but there was no way to clean them.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Geesus, it's no wonder people yanked that stuff off. It's the first thing I did with the van when I verified the engine would run. I originally tried to hook everything back up and ran the vacuum lines per factory preferences, but it still ran like a turd salad. With all of that stuff out of the picture, it ran great. I like those little straight sixes GM made. They're no Ford 300, but I wouldn't turn another one away.

Comment

Did that with the yard truck at the marina. It was so f'd up that I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Yanked it all, and it finally ran right. Before you'd drive down the road and it sounded like you were committing a drive-by shooting. Fireballs would blow out the tailpipe randomly at idle, it was a mess. I removed an entire box full of hoses and switches and "things", and plugged a ton of vacuum ports. Left it with power brakes, vac advance, and a hose to the HVAC so the defrost worked.

Comment

"..removed an entire box full of switches & 'things'.."

The van sounded terrible too. Couldn't get it to idle and was super choppy & chitty-chitty. Don't think the EGR was stuck open, probably just went full open when I replaced all the vacuum lines. Whatever thing was supposed to switch vacuum to it on was probably smooched, but I wasn't about to go and replace that trash or even try to troubleshoot it. Out came the plugs for the ports it no longer needed and now I've got a bunch of tubing of various lengths I'll probably never use. I did the same thing, left the power brakes and vacuum advance. Great little turd under 50mph, it was. I was surprised how well it stopped and rode. If Ashley and I hadn't split, I would've been very tempted to keep it.

Comment

That truck remained a turd, '87 F250 with a 351w a 390 Holley on it and a C6. The day I de-smogged it my boss bailed out before I did and locked my truck keys in the shop. Drove it 45 minutes home, much of it on the highway. I bet it hadn't seen over 50 in years. No idea how long it had been since the 4bbl had been opened either, but it spent plenty of time open on that trip. Not that it did much besides make extra noise.

Comment

LoL, you've made mention of that truck before. Dual smog pumps, and I learned that those didn't get EFI until 1988.

Years ago I brought a similar truck to life, it was an '85 F250 with that "HO" 351. I do not recall seeing dual smoggers on it. That engine was stuck due to the flipped air cleaner lid & mouse piss which pooled and leaked into it, I guess. When we finally got the engine unstuck, it didn't feel all too powerful either. Surprisingly, it ran just fine with no smoke despite being STUCK. I mean, so stuck I had to give up and have muscly friend reef on the cheater bar to and fro.

Comment

Here is a variation of one of those things...obviously broken and obviously misrepresented as good condition and new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18552732711...4AAOSwbbVi7XhT

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                            My Canadian 87 CV has those. 351W.
                            Is it for the VV? I always didn't want to mess with it. The VV carb is off and I have a rare Holley model 2300 1-684 carb that hooks up to the AOD, so wonder if I need that mess.
                            Yeah should be controlled by the MCU. If your smog stuff is gone, I'd take them with it...I doubt they would even function correctly if you left the MCU and ditched the VV. I'd personally yank it all.
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Here is a variation of one of those things...obviously broken and obviously misrepresented as good condition and new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18552732711...4AAOSwbbVi7XhT

So seeing "Distributor Modulator Valve" makes me think of a considerably simpler deal Chrysler used on non-Lean Burn engines. The 360 in my truck uses a heated vacuum valve on the intake, where effectively with the engine cold, the distributor receives full manifold vacuum, and once it gets warm, it switches to ported vacuum.

Wonder if this was effectively an "electronic" version of that.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

these aren't valves, its a switch. When vacuum exceeds some level it closes. Probably used as some sort of feedback to verify that some temperature switch did actually shift the vacuum as it was meant to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X