Power windows not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power windows not working

Windows won’t work from switch’s but if jumped from battery they all work.I checked breaker under hood it’s good checked fuse it’s good I also checked relay and it is good what else do I look for thanks

Sounds like the driver door set of switches has an issue. Check the wires to make sure the one feeding power to that panel didn't break loose. The switch plate may have an issue as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, verifiy you have power and ground to the switch in the driver's door. Power and ground run into the driver's door switches first, then through that switch to each door. Failure in the door harness can make all of them stop working.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got power to main switch and all other switches.I jumped main switch with battery and car battery unhooked all windows go up and down except drivers door then I jumped front door ground and all windows work except drivers front with car battery hooked up. Check continuity of ground from switch to door and that’s good now I don’t know what to do

Comment

So, the driver's window doesn't work under any circumstances? Do I have that correct? If so, check out the motor and/or gear set. If the driver's window works by bypassing the switch, you have your answer. Bad switch.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Got power to main switch and all other switches.I jumped main switch with battery and car battery unhooked all windows go up and down except drivers door then I jumped front door ground and all windows work except drivers front with car battery hooked up. Check continuity of ground from switch to door and that’s good now I don’t know what to do

Comment

Did test for switch and it is good also bought new one just in case where do I check for ground
              Attached Files

Comment

check the EVTM, it will tell you which ground it uses.

If applying power and ground to the switch directly makes it go, that sounds like you don't have power and/or ground. If you are using a meter, try testing voltage when the window switch is held down. It could be a bad connection that is allowing voltage but no current when unloaded.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ground is on door and on ground bus under dash I’ll check those.

Comment

IIRC, that circuit breaker coming off the fender mounted starter solenoid is the power to the windows. Might need to check and see if power is on the other side of that when under load.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Still front drivers window not working changed window motor new drivers switch new 20amp breaker window relay and nothing got power to all doors.all other windows work from front switch just not drivers now I’m lost
                      On another problem is mirrors not working is there a connector for the passenger side mirror under the dashboard

Thanks

Comment

double check grounds for the driver door. If everything else is working, seems like the grounds are either broken or loose somewhere in the driver door or driver kick panel.

Comment

Where is the ground at drivers kick panel

Comment

Once you pull the panel off, there should be a bolt in the body with one to 5 wires going to it (depending on options) just below the dash near the door.

Comment

Is there a one-touch down module?
                              I had one of those go bad and caused all kinds of problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X