Vinyl top question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl top question

Looking to do a slicktop conversion on my 85 and was wondering if the roof is painted underneath the vinyl top or not?

Mine had some kind of primer/sealer with some body color overspray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

So would probably be best to get paint stuff before peeling it off?

Comment

Not well, and there is a big seam on the top part of the C pillar that is not filled. Can see it in Tiggie's pic above. If yours is the half roof, there will also be a line of holes across the roof that need to be filled. Depending on the rear window treatment, there may also be a big stupid fiberglass shell around the glass.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mimes got the full back window in it

Comment

At the edge of what's peeled it looks like the paint underneath is really orangepeeled, is that the way the finish is or just the glue on it?

Comment

The top of my c pillar is smooth, did any cars come slicktop and get vinyl afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
                The top of my c pillar is smooth, did any cars come slicktop and get vinyl afterwards?
                Some dealers had vinyl tops installed by an outside shop. At that time the demand for vinyl tops was high. High profit for the dealer and by ordering slick tops, it cut down on wait time from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                X