Weak trunk torsion bars - fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak trunk torsion bars - fix?

Since I swapped to Vic rear fascia I noticed that my trunk torsion bars can no longer hold the lid up in the air. I have them adjusted to max tension and the trunk will still barely stay open. I looked up the part numbers from Ford and they list same torsion bars 1984-1991 Vic and GMQ which would lead me to believe that I already have the correct bars in there. I thought about adding struts to help support the lid but thought I would check here first in case I am missing something.
    Last edited by Mr Bean; 08-03-2022, 09:50 PM.

Yours may be the correct part, but may be worn out as well. It might be worth just swapping in another one (especially if you can find one from a vic). The 88 MGM I had was always weak. It would hold the lid up, but a little breeze would make it sag quite a bit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

wonder if the Lincoln ones are any more stout. If the MGM lid is heavier than the Vic lid, and if the Lincoln ones are heavier yet maybe that would be a fix.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think the MGM is the lightest because it doesn't have that big lip.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The Lincoln ones must be somehow different because they are not listed in the interchange. Perhaps someone who has both can compare? I wonder if Aero or Whale ones can be made to fit.

Comment

I don't know about the Town Cars but my Mark VI has the gas charged lift supports for the trunk lid.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

The aero/whale ones are a different length IIRC. I think they go about 3-4 inches wider.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                I don't know about the Town Cars but my Mark VI has the gas charged lift supports for the trunk lid.
                Oh really? Could you post a pic of how they attach?

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post

Mark VI looks like a torsion bar setup same as a Town Car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-08-04_231637830.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1290555
                  1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                  2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

The early year Lincolns (both Continental/Town Car and Mark VI) get the silly little strut lift support things. 84LTC is torsion bar; my 83LTC had lift supports. I know I've seen an 80 Continental (Town Car) which had the lift supports.

In the case of my cars:
                    The 91MGM and 84LTC, and I believe also 88LTC, you pop the trunk, and it hangs open just above the closed position. If you lift it, it will stay where you leave it, but it will not spring upwards, you need to lift it to the height you want.
                    The 83MGM and 86MGM, you pop the trunk and it launches itself all the way up violently. It cannot be left mostly closed, it will shoot all the way open as soon as you let it go.

This doesn't really tell anyone anything useful since we have no way to account for wear, so it's just information. What's interesting to me is that the 83/86MGM and 91MGM, which have fundamentally the same trunk lid (I think?) behave so differently.
                    Last edited by kishy; 08-05-2022, 12:11 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Huh was thinking it would be like a scissor hinge style setup like later cars. I stand corrected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-08-05_002900911.png
Views:	1
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	1290556
                      1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                      2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

My 88 Town Car used to launch into full open, but in the last week or so it's started to only open halfway and stick where I set it. Coincidentally this is after I finished installing a trunk muncher.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                          The early year Lincolns (both Continental/Town Car and Mark VI) get the silly little strut lift support things. 84LTC is torsion bar; my 83LTC had lift supports. I know I've seen an 80 Continental (Town Car) which had the lift supports.

In the case of my cars:
                          The 91MGM and 84LTC, and I believe also 88LTC, you pop the trunk, and it hangs open just above the closed position. If you lift it, it will stay where you leave it, but it will not spring upwards, you need to lift it to the height you want.
                          The 83MGM and 86MGM, you pop the trunk and it launches itself all the way up violently. It cannot be left mostly closed, it will shoot all the way open as soon as you let it go.

This doesn't really tell anyone anything useful since we have no way to account for wear, so it's just information. What's interesting to me is that the 83/86MGM and 91MGM, which have fundamentally the same trunk lid (I think?) behave so differently.
                          In my case, 2 '91 MGMs behave very differently. The Ice Car will fly all the way open. The Scab sometimes I'll pop the trunk and forget I did. I know there are a few adjustment settings but i've never actually comparted to the two to see if they are adjusted to the same adjustment slot.

Since Mr Bean mentioned he has his adjusted to the max, I would think replacing the torsion bars would be the way to go. Though I have no idea what all is involved with that or if it is even an easy task. Just have to test the JY donor trunk lid's ability to stay down (pass on those torsion bars) or tendency to want to open (take those ones, especially if not adjusted to the max).
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I definitely prefer the trunk lid to not open itself, but at the same time, it must be able to hold itself fully open when I open it.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Since Mr Bean mentioned he has his adjusted to the max, I would think replacing the torsion bars would be the way to go. Though I have no idea what all is involved with that or if it is even an easy task. Just have to test the JY donor trunk lid's ability to stay down (pass on those torsion bars) or tendency to want to open (take those ones, especially if not adjusted to the max).
                            I believe the torsion bar removal is "easy" (not complicated) but there is some fighting of physics involved, and you really need the special tool to do it without probably hurting yourself or just failing to get it back together at all.

I recall that someone here made a DIY version of the tool with a parts list so someone could replicate it, but I can't find the thread at the moment.

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Found a video on installing torsion bars on a '67-'70 Cougar. Not exactly the same, but close enough that the basics apply.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X