'86 MGM........12 volt for dummies;-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 MGM........12 volt for dummies;-(

So I decided to change the trunk lamp and under hood lamp to LEDs( why did I do this? because I have nothing to do with my time;-( )
    So the trunk lamp lamped up no problem. The under hood lamp, N/G.....I switched the lamps and the lamp is not the problem.
    I then removed the socket from the hood and cleaned the S out of it with Caig "Red", and used steel wool to clean the the inside surround. Lamp still does not light, used steel wool on the pieces that join together from the harness to the socket. Still no light.
    So how can I determine if the socket itself is shot (not receiveing 12 volts)...or what fuse protects this under hood lamp?
    What is the procedure to test the socket itself? Where to place the test leads?
    Thanks in advance to the assistance, assume I am a dummy and need to be guided like a child;-)

Thanks

is it a bayonet bulb? If so the center pin of the socket should be hot and the sides should be ground.
    Since you say leads you have a multimeter? If so set meter probably for 15v DC. black wire goes to any engine ground, clamp it gently in place with a visegrip for convenience. Red goes to center contact of socket, don't touch sides of socket with bare probe or that is a short. If the ctr is hot then switch meter to Ohms. test side of socket to engine ground. Be doubly sure not to touch the hot center of socket as you could pop the internal meter fuse.

If the center is not hot likely it has no power to the hood or the tilt switch is shot.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

+1 ground meter to car somewhere... and poke the red line into the socket on the contacts to check for 12V.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        +1 ground meter to car somewhere... and poke the red line into the socket on the contacts to check for 12V.
        Sly no red wire, only a single green that feeds the socket.
        That green wire comes out of the wire harness and attaches to the wire connector that goes to the socket.
        How do I determine if the wire that sticks out of the harness with the male end has 12 volts coming out?
        Last edited by Toploader; 08-04-2022, 11:06 PM.

Comment

What are you using as a tool?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            What are you using as a tool?
            Fluke multimeter

Comment

when we said red & black we meant the color of the multimeter leads.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Ok update........I have determined that I do in fact have 12V coming out of the green wire from the harness. I next determined that I do have 12V on the center 'tit' of the lamp socket.
                However the lamp still does not light.
                So the only thing that presents itself is the fact that the socket itself has lost its ground.
                Guess the only thing left to do it to replace the entire under-hood lamp socket.
                Make sense?

Comment

Yup. Or do what I did with the bulb sockets on my trailer and resolder the wire to the socket. That's assuming you can even disassemble it without trashing it completely. Replacing it would definitely be easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you use a jumper to ground, does the bulb light up?

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      Yup. Or do what I did with the bulb sockets on my trailer and resolder the wire to the socket. That's assuming you can even disassemble it without trashing it completely. Replacing it would definitely be easier.
                      Yea no way to take apart!..........anyone have a spare around?? LOL

Comment

Have no jumper wire;-(

Comment

Does your under hood light look like this ? If so, I have a new one . The box shows 1989-04 Ford.
                          If that is not correct, I may have a used one in the parts bins. Send me a picture and I will look this weekend.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1290559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4391.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1290560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4392.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1290561

Comment

Tom mine is a single contact bayonet bulb socket. Look on your 87 should look like my '86.

Comment

put the regular bulb back in and see what it does
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X