PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '86 MGM........12 volt for dummies;-(

Default '86 MGM........12 volt for dummies;-(

So I decided to change the trunk lamp and under hood lamp to LEDs( why did I do this? because I have nothing to do with my time;-( )
    So the trunk lamp lamped up no problem. The under hood lamp, N/G.....I switched the lamps and the lamp is not the problem.
    I then removed the socket from the hood and cleaned the S out of it with Caig "Red", and used steel wool to clean the the inside surround. Lamp still does not light, used steel wool on the pieces that join together from the harness to the socket. Still no light.
    So how can I determine if the socket itself is shot (not receiveing 12 volts)...or what fuse protects this under hood lamp?
    What is the procedure to test the socket itself? Where to place the test leads?
    Thanks in advance to the assistance, assume I am a dummy and need to be guided like a child;-)

Thanks

I post a lot...

is it a bayonet bulb? If so the center pin of the socket should be hot and the sides should be ground.
    Since you say leads you have a multimeter? If so set meter probably for 15v DC. black wire goes to any engine ground, clamp it gently in place with a visegrip for convenience. Red goes to center contact of socket, don't touch sides of socket with bare probe or that is a short. If the ctr is hot then switch meter to Ohms. test side of socket to engine ground. Be doubly sure not to touch the hot center of socket as you could pop the internal meter fuse.

If the center is not hot likely it has no power to the hood or the tilt switch is shot.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

+1 ground meter to car somewhere... and poke the red line into the socket on the contacts to check for 12V.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    +1 ground meter to car somewhere... and poke the red line into the socket on the contacts to check for 12V.
    Sly no red wire, only a single green that feeds the socket.
    That green wire comes out of the wire harness and attaches to the wire connector that goes to the socket.
    How do I determine if the wire that sticks out of the harness with the male end has 12 volts coming out?
    Last edited by Toploader; 08-04-2022 at 11:06 PM.

I post a lot...

What are you using as a tool?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    What are you using as a tool?
    Fluke multimeter

I post a lot...

when we said red & black we meant the color of the multimeter leads.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Ok update........I have determined that I do in fact have 12V coming out of the green wire from the harness. I next determined that I do have 12V on the center 'tit' of the lamp socket.
    However the lamp still does not light.
    So the only thing that presents itself is the fact that the socket itself has lost its ground.
    Guess the only thing left to do it to replace the entire under-hood lamp socket.
    Make sense?

Yup. Or do what I did with the bulb sockets on my trailer and resolder the wire to the socket. That's assuming you can even disassemble it without trashing it completely. Replacing it would definitely be easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

If you use a jumper to ground, does the bulb light up?

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Yup. Or do what I did with the bulb sockets on my trailer and resolder the wire to the socket. That's assuming you can even disassemble it without trashing it completely. Replacing it would definitely be easier.
    Yea no way to take apart!..........anyone have a spare around?? LOL

Have no jumper wire;-(

fomoco panthers !

Does your under hood light look like this ? If so, I have a new one . The box shows 1989-04 Ford.
    If that is not correct, I may have a used one in the parts bins. Send me a picture and I will look this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	58261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4391.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	58262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4392.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	58263

Tom mine is a single contact bayonet bulb socket. Look on your 87 should look like my '86.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

put the regular bulb back in and see what it does

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thain I have to see if i can find it!........why would it light, but not the LED replacement?
    The LED does work in the trunk socket
    Last edited by Toploader; Yesterday at 11:23 AM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

just making sure you don't have a defective bulb. Having spent too much time chasing things like this I like to rule out the simple first.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Ok well the bulb is good, any suggestion as to getting a new single bayonet socket that I can splice onto the old wire?

I feel like those sockets are readily available, very common. Maybe take your old one to a parts store and try and match it up?

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Toploader View Post
    Tom mine is a single contact bayonet bulb socket. Look on your 87 should look like my '86.
    My 83 MGM has the optional retractable under hood light.
    I did find a used under hood light in the spare parts. Put a new bulb in it and verified the light assembly to be good. Same connector as yours. Length of wire from back of socket to end of connector is 36 " long
    I will send you a pm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	58264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	58265

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast