Mercury Switch, where is it located?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury Switch, where is it located?

On my '86 MGM, the under hood light........I can not find the mercury switch, how does the lamp go off when the hood is closed???

The switch is in the housing where the bulb goes. When you open the hood, the ball of mercury slides down to make contact so the light comes on. I remove the bulbs under my hoods, the switch can fail and drain your battery if the light is on with the hood closed. I have a flashlight under the seat of my cars for emergencies. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      The switch is in the housing where the bulb goes. When you open the hood, the ball of mercury slides down to make contact so the light comes on. I remove the bulbs under my hoods, the switch can fail and drain your battery if the light is on with the hood closed. I have a flashlight under the seat of my cars for emergencies. WagonMan
      Pete bulb in my car just goes into the bulb socket, there is no housing??

Comment

There must be a spring loaded plunger type switch somewhere along the edge of the fender. Follow the wire from the hood light.
        WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

The bulb socket has the mercury switch in it. The switch doesn't take up much of any room.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            The bulb socket has the mercury switch in it. The switch doesn't take up much of any room.
            This is what i was thinking as well. Aero hood and trunk lights are mercury switches and it's part of the socket and not big at all.

Comment

May be able to find a replacement OEM on EBAY if the original is faulty. Not sure if the original question was for informational purposes or there is an issue.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
              X