PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird coolant leak

UPDATE: tightened up the water pump bolts and she's staying dry now

Cool - gotta do the obvious easy stuff first.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Isn't it best to retighten everything after a certain amount of time/miles anyways?

Probably best to research the torque setting and recheck after a specified amount of miles. That's the official way of doing it but many of us have maintained it without a torque wrench. I personally use the torque wrench.

something like torque to spec... check after 10 temp cycles. I need to check the intake on my wife's car (among other things on that car - I never drive it so I never see any issues until they're major). The thermostat bolts mainly. Everything is getting fuzzy in that corner.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

It appears the coolant leak was masking a small oil seepage around the distributor, so I gotta take care of that eventually

I've heard of people bumping the timing to get a little more pep, how do you go about doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by 91merc View Post
    I've heard of people bumping the timing to get a little more pep, how do you go about doing that?
    Unplug SPOUT connector (1-pin from TFI module), fire up engine, turn distributor for a bit more timing, verify with a timing light. Tighten the distributor, shut off. Reconnect SPOUT and you're done.
    Dunno how much it'll do since the timing is computer controlled, but someone smarter than me can tell if it's worthwhile.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Unless you are REALLY having a timing issue, I'd leave it alone. Have to be really careful about it, or it is not going to end well and be more grief than it is worth!

Usually 14 is safe, but some cars don't like more than 10. The 88 MGM I had loved 14. I think it's gadget's towny that hates any more than 10. The HO in the Mark VI I had liked 18 with good gas, but I kept it at 14 to be safe. I ran that one as far as 20, but that started to have a little ping under load and that's when I backed it down to 14.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

none of my cars have wanted more than 10. The Towncar and the black Mark VII both pinged with any advance. The white one very slightly pings even at 10, though that mostly went away when I swapped the plugs back to copper.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    none of my cars have wanted more than 10. The Towncar and the black Mark VII both pinged with any advance. The white one very slightly pings even at 10, though that mostly went away when I swapped the plugs back to copper.
    Interesting you would mention pinging going away with the replacement to copper plugs. My '93's PO had Autolite Plats put in as opposed to the OEM Motorcraft Coppers. It does have a ping under load and I wonder if replacing the plugs would produce the same good results. Guess there is one way to find out!

fomoco panthers !

I know the gas makes a big difference. When I was working, we never put in anything other than 89 octane. In my 96, I use premium 90-91.
    If I used regular gas, it would ping big time. As far a plugs, in my opinion, using what the car came with is the best.

yeah I'm a stock plug type of guy. Thats why I put coppers back in the Mark VII. Just past experience with the 302, they don't idle as well with fancy plugs vs boring Motorcraft coppers. The 4.6 I believe came with platinum.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just checked the Owner's Manual and it calls for AWSF-32C so that should be coppers.Not sure what is stated on the car's decal but will verify possibly tomorrow.

Update 2: I think I'm gonna need a fan clutch, shut the car off after about 15 mile drive and watched it free spin

I post a lot...

The way I got rid of the heavy ping under hard acceleration was replace the old clogged cats with nice new ones.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Cats on all three of mine are low mileage, so thats not it either. Its one of those things that I don't think makes any sense, but I've given up trying to figure it out. They work well enough at 10 btdc so thats what I use.

My Town Car pings if set to anything over 10 degrees. It sometimes pings at 10.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12