Weird coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird coolant leak

On my 85 it seems to be seeping a little bit of coolant around the top edge of the timing cover, I put a pressure tester on it and it held the pressure good for about 30 minutes, but whenever I drive somewhere and park there's a couple drops of coolant on the ground and a little bit on the top of the timing cover
    Last edited by 91merc; 08-14-2022, 03:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

Check the thermostat housing for leaks. My 87 has a little leak there as well.

Comment

I looked and when I've been driving for a while, there's tiny bubbles on the top edge of where the timing cover mounts to the block, but it only happens after I shut the engine off

Edit: no water getting in the oil, and could that top right water pump bolts cause it if it's not tight enough? We just replaced the water pump about 300 miles ago

Comment

Did you do the timing cover to block gasket? If not, that's likely your culprit.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Did you do the timing cover to block gasket? If not, that's likely your culprit.

Haven't done that gasket because this car's kinda just a budget beater for now until I can get the engine pulled out of my 91 and reseal it

Comment

Did you have the leak prior to doing the water pump? Appears others have alluded to this question. If not, you then have your answer.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I'd don't know, I bought the car with a radiator leak so I didn't drive it at all before replacing the water pump, radiator, etc

Comment

There is a seal between the pump and cover and another between the cover and block, so it could be leaking at either. The trouble with the block to cover seal, if it leaks inside the engine it dumps coolant into the oil. Keep an eye on that.

if you do pull the timing cover to replace that gasket, just do yourself a favor and replace the timing chain and the crank seal while you're in there. 85 chains are crap, and the seal is like 4 bucks.

If you want a really half-ass non-fix, if you take a loop of wire and put it under the dime-size bit of metal on the bottom of the radiator cap that will prevent it from building any pressure. Probably won't leak anywhere but if it runs over 212 at all its going to boil over.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

20220814_183052.mp4

Top right corner of the timing cover, only does it after driving for a while and shutting off

Comment

Yup. Timing cover gasket. That sucks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      Yup. Timing cover gasket. That sucks.

And we just replaced the water pump about 500 miles ago so everything's gotta come back off

Comment

Ford says, "You're welcome. Yes, you may have another."

::insert Kevin Bacon meme from that one movie here::
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Probably need to replace the timing cover anyways, we had to JB WELD a hole in it from the PO

Comment

It's not the right way but wonder if you can jamb some thick gasket maker into the area and let it cure properly before using. Could then leak from another weak spot but maybe worth a shot? I understand this is blasphemy but merely trying to save you a lot of work unless you need to do it all for another reason.
                            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

probably would just push the goop out. My bigger fear would be that its going to start mixing coolant in the oil, from there its a short trip to milkshake station with a siding of no main bearings.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X