No announcement yet.

Cfi performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the 4R70W gears in the AOD, it's even more pronounced. 1st gear is a good deal lower than the AOD. I would like to have a 4r70W put in my 93... but I have no real desire to any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh, you can do that? Neat. Is the 4R70W's OD ratio steeper than an AOD's?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

slightly shallower actually, 0.67 for the AOD vs 0.70 for the 4R70w.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah. 3 and 4 are basically the same. it's 1 and 2 that are a good deal lower than the older ones.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

EGR delete and no cats, air pump dual exhaust all help. Non ethanol gas helps. Replace the OE nylon over aluminium eingle row timing set with double row set

Comment

Keep the catalytic converters. The rest of us will thank you. Nothing like getting stuck behind a mechanical asshole and then stinking as a consequence. Not all of us have the luxury of cabin filters.

Comment

honestly the EGR doesn't cause problems if its working as designed either.

the air pump in theory shouldn't hurt, but in reality it doesn't do much of use either, it makes stupid noises when working and really stupid ones when it fails.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

smog pump that was on the 88 MGM I had sounded like a turbo when it was failing before it seized up. Was kinda neat for those two weeks.

Comment

one of mine sounded like a drunk with a maraca, the other sounded like a flying saucer in a cheesy sci-fi movie from the 50s.

Comment

I never noticed any sound from the smog pump on my ‘88 Grand Marquis. The one on the Mark VI sounds like a coffee can full of rocks on startup, it goes away as the engine warms up. Eventually it’ll probably seize up, at that point I’ll remove the entire ordeal. Until then I’ll likely be too lazy. I’ve had the belt off and it turns freely and there doesn’t seem to be excessive endplay in the thing so I don’t know what it’s issue is.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Smog pump has never been an issue on my friend's car so as long as that is true, it stays because "why poke the bear".
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                          Smog pump has never been an issue on my friend's car so as long as that is true, it stays because "why poke the bear".
                          That's the general idea for me and engine stuff for the most part. I do monkey with the intake and cooling though.

Comment

good ones aren't terribly noisy but they do tend to make a bit of a buzz/fart kind of noise, especially when its in bypass mode and just dumping to atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              good ones aren't terribly noisy but they do tend to make a bit of a buzz/fart kind of noise, especially when its in bypass mode and just dumping to atmosphere.
                              I remember the '85 I had doing that. "Ffffftffffftffffffpppfff"

Comment

When the bearings went out on mine, it started to make the worst ear-splitting whine-squeal I've ever witnessed to come from an automobile.
                                If it hadn't done that (and thrown the belt), I would've left it be.

I'd bet the biggest performance gain from emissions equipment deletes is the weight reduction...
                                Except in my case, the EGR went apeshit and made the car run like crap.
                                And I'm defo keeping my cats, because I don't like to SMELL BAD.
                                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                                X