Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'02 Explorer 5.0 for swap or HiPo Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'02 Explorer 5.0 for swap or HiPo Conversion?

Hi guys,

planning ahead for my newly purchased '88 Colony Park and looking to at least convert heads/intake etc for a hipo conversion. I've come across an '02 Explorer 5.0 already pulled that the seller indicates "has a bad piston". This motor is $500 CAD. My understanding is the GT40 heads and intake are an upgrade and I believe I can use the injectors as well. If I decide to do a full long block rebuild, would I be better to retain the Explorer block/crank etc? I assume my box motor mount will bolt right up to this block?

Price seems good even if I just yank the heads/intake/injectors and whatever else is worth while. Experienced thoughts are appreciated. I was a mustang guy for many years until I fell in love with my '82 LTD wagon but the fuel injected boxes are a little different.

Thanks!

cam is important.

How is your existing motor?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

cam is important
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Actually you said 82 so there are internal block changes around the cam I believe. roller vs non-roller. So I don't think the cam will work in the old block bu others with more info will likely post up.
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Actually you said 82 so there are internal block changes around the cam I believe. roller vs non-roller. So I don't think the cam will work in the old block bu others with more info will likely post up.
          The motor is for my ‘88. I’ll likely sell the ‘82 at some point.

Comment

The Explorer cam is sort of like the stock cam on steroids. Similar power curve, just more of it and its pretty well done by about 4800 at the top end. The lopo cam gives up maybe 4400-4600. The HO cam is good for higher RPM, but the torque under about 2500 rpm is garbage and unless you change the rear gears and/or run a looser converter it kind of sucks in a heavy car.

honestly the shortblocks are pretty similar. The block hasn't changed in any meaningful way once they went to roller cams. There is something slightly different about the crank or rods, different part number, but I don't think it makes any practical difference. hypereutectic pistons with valve reliefs vs the cast pistons with a big dish in the middle. I'd say the Explorer pistons are better, maybe good for a little more compression but more because the valve reliefs give you some more options.

The top end is where the Explorer parts are better. Specific problem with the P heads, the plugs run at a different angle and fitment is goofy. There used to be a really nice Ford Motorsports header that worked well, but its NLA. There is another, but I forget which and who. B&K maybe? Also have to figure out what to do with the EGR. 02 won't have the passage in the intake, so either you need to fabricobble an external supply or just disable it. Would also be wise to upgrade the valve springs.

Need something to attach the throttle cable bracket to, or get creative. Ford Lightning spacer was the preferred way to go but they aren't exactly common items anymore. Also need to figure out the computer. The stock one is not going to run an Explorer motor or different injectors. A Mark VII ECM will, but its hit or miss if it really runs entirely correct. They get prone to running lean with the better airflow in the top end. Mustang mass air is possible but those ECM are getting pretty stupid in price these days for aging hardware.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The Explorer cam is sort of like the stock cam on steroids. Similar power curve, just more of it and its pretty well done by about 4800 at the top end. The lopo cam gives up maybe 4400-4600. The HO cam is good for higher RPM, but the torque under about 2500 rpm is garbage and unless you change the rear gears and/or run a looser converter it kind of sucks in a heavy car.

honestly the shortblocks are pretty similar. The block hasn't changed in any meaningful way once they went to roller cams. There is something slightly different about the crank or rods, different part number, but I don't think it makes any practical difference. hypereutectic pistons with valve reliefs vs the cast pistons with a big dish in the middle. I'd say the Explorer pistons are better, maybe good for a little more compression but more because the valve reliefs give you some more options.

The top end is where the Explorer parts are better. Specific problem with the P heads, the plugs run at a different angle and fitment is goofy. There used to be a really nice Ford Motorsports header that worked well, but its NLA. There is another, but I forget which and who. B&K maybe? Also have to figure out what to do with the EGR. 02 won't have the passage in the intake, so either you need to fabricobble an external supply or just disable it. Would also be wise to upgrade the valve springs.

Need something to attach the throttle cable bracket to, or get creative. Ford Lightning spacer was the preferred way to go but they aren't exactly common items anymore. Also need to figure out the computer. The stock one is not going to run an Explorer motor or different injectors. A Mark VII ECM will, but its hit or miss if it really runs entirely correct. They get prone to running lean with the better airflow in the top end. Mustang mass air is possible but those ECM are getting pretty stupid in price these days for aging hardware.
              Really appreciate the detailed response. If this ‘02 (or likely earlier as it looks like ‘01 was the last year) 5.0 is a good start, I may grab it and disassemble. Have worked on cars for years but stopped short of digging into motors myself. This might be the one to tackle. As far as engine management goes, I may go aftermarket…especially if I end up doing a full rebuild on this.

I’d considered pulling parts off and slapping them on my lopo block but for all the work involved, it may just make sense to do a nice streetable build on this other motor and swap.

Comment

at this point in time non-OEM engine management really makes a lot of sense. by the time you find the right mix of aging hardware then pay for the extra hardware to tune it you could just do something different that doesn't have all the limitations of a computer from 1988.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One more caveat. The 02 heads are gt40P heads. The P heads have zero support for headers. You will be stuck with the wonky Explorer exhaust or your lopo logs. If you can find some BBK 1515 headers and right angle plug wires with the heat protection socks, you can use those. This is all due to the spark plug angle being obnoxious on those heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the explorer exhaust won't work, pipes come out at completely the wrong spot. Also those manifolds have to be among the worst things ever devised.

I think I've been told that the 90 Towncar tubular manifolds do fit but not 100% on that.

those BBK headers are the ones I was thinking of. Not sure why I said B&K. I moved my spare oscilloscope yesterday and it happens to be a B&K, maybe I was thinking of that.

Comment

A nitpick: the vehicle in question is likely a 2001 Explorer. The 2002 model year was the updated Explorer which had a 4.6L V8.

Carry on.
                      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                        A nitpick: the vehicle in question is likely a 2001 Explorer. The 2002 model year was the updated Explorer which had a 4.6L V8.

Carry on.
                        Yes, I mentioned to the owner that ‘01 was the last year so that’s my assumption.

Comment

Working...
                        X